Bangers and Mash

Every time I hear bangers and mash, I think of a talk show I saw many long years ago when I was young. They had a guest from England who was demonstrating their food. He put a pile of mashed potatoes on a platter and then stuck hot dogs in it. Even as a young kid I thought that was pretty funny. :rofl:

Needless to say your bangers and mash look a whole lot better. :hungry: The sausages look like what we call brats (bratwurst.) Do you know if that's what you have?

Interesting sample of posters. One from each of UK, USA & Holland then 3 Aussies. Must be the time zones.
John
I caught that as well, very cool this whole internet thing. :becky:

"Bangers and mash". Not only looks great, even the terminology is fantastic!

Looks great! One of my favorite comfort food dishes. Did you add brown mustard to your mash?

Hmmm, never had bangers like that, always had them dry with a condiment on the side. That looks terrific Titch

That looks great. How did you make the red wine onion gravy?

Thank you.
Sweat onions off with Garlic in butter untill slightly brown.
Add 2 cups of Good red wine and simmer untill reduced by half.
Add 2 cups of beef stock/broth untill reduced by half,add seasoning to taste.
Add a touch of cornflour/or whatever thickener to the required density.
Tastes bloody nic over steak as well.
cheers.
Titch

So, what's the signifigance of the term "banger"?
The "Masher", I get, but "banger"????

They got called Banger supposedly, because of the noise they made when splitting beause they had a lot of water in them.

It is assumed that ‘banger’ relates to the noise made by a bursting sausage, and the nick-name dates to the first or second decade of the twentieth century.

cheers.
Titch

Back