America's Test Kitchen 4th of July Brined Ribs.

Actually, Farmer John, a big California meat supplier sell their ribs inhanced in a solution, same thing, and alot of folks buy them. I think they taste hammy. I usually buy Swift, they are not inhanced.

Thanks- I'm still in the experimenting stages of things, so that may come in handy! :becky:

Definatley worth a try. I'm off to CostCo today to see what sort of meat they've got today... yes we've got a Costco in Melbourne, the only one in Australia... AND I'm a member! Woo Hooo!

Billy

That recipe is more meticulous than My Dr. used for my back surgery I thought this was queing and supposed to be fun.:crazy:

I might have to try brining... Have many people tried this and how did you like them brined vs not brined?

I might have to try brining... Have many people tried this and how did you like them brined vs not brined?

Some of the conventional wisdom would be brineing is a no, no. But we here, like to probe the edges of the universe and reap the benefits of anything that might have merit. As an example. Recently, we have come to better understand the merits of boiling meat in a rich broth before BBQ as to enhance flavor and reduce cooking time. It may turn out that, that approach is more traditional then we would have ever thought.

Push the edges and stay thirsty my friends.

Need input on the cook time for this recipe

I have tried this recipe a number of times. I think the brine adds to the flavor and I really like the rub. My problem has always been the cook times listed in the recipe. I have seen a couple of other posts (I'm new, BTW) that say "they're done when they're done" or some variation of that statement. Does anyone have any tips on how to judge when BB's are really "done"? Should I go by internal temp? If so, what temp would I be looking for? Any help is appreciated!

I have tried this recipe a number of times. I think the brine adds to the flavor and I really like the rub. My problem has always been the cook times listed in the recipe. I have seen a couple of other posts (I'm new, BTW) that say "they're done when they're done" or some variation of that statement. Does anyone have any tips on how to judge when BB's are really "done"? Should I go by internal temp? If so, what temp would I be looking for? Any help is appreciated!

Your new? :wink: I am no expert, when I do mine (nor Brined) I expect between 4 and 5 hours at 225º or so. When the ribs have pulled down on the bone about a 1/4" they are close. I do a lot of taste testing when I cook.

Actually, Farmer John, a big California meat supplier sell their ribs inhanced in a solution, same thing, and alot of folks buy them. I think they taste hammy. I usually buy Swift, they are not inhanced.

Tha explains it. i was in bishop CA last week and there ribs were different. The smoke ring went almost all the way throw. Made me lose my appetite cuz it looked way to red. I really think they were enhanced ribs. i could be wrong. However the chicken was awesome

I don't think a short 1 hour brine compares to enhanced ribs which are in solution for days/weeks.(not sure how long it takes to go from hoof to market).

I have tried brining ribs and I didn't think it was worth the hassle. Brining chicken is another story.

Back