Bacon Wrapped Italian Sausage Fatty (Pron)

markrvp

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I made a fatty on my new Weber Performer, setup with Stubbs charcoal on one side and the fatty on the other (for indirect heat). I also added a couple chunks of Pecan wood for smoke flavor.

Started out by making a bacon weave and then flattening out 1 lb. of Italian Sausage I got on sale at Kroger.

Fatty_1.jpg

Then I covered the sausage with onions and bell pepper that I had sauteed in vegetable oil and butter. On top of the onions and pepper I added some shredded cheese.

Fatty_2.jpg

I rolled the veggies and cheese up in the sausage. I sprinkled some rub on the bacon and the put the sausage in it.

Fatty_3.jpg

I rolled the sausage in the bacon and sprinkled rub on the outside as well.

Fatty_4.jpg

Into the kettle it went for 2 hours 20 minutes at 250 degrees. I pulled the fatty when the internal temperature was 168 and let it rest in foil for about 10-15 minutes.

Fatty_5.jpg

And then sliced it and served it in big biscuits.

Fatty_6.jpg

This was yummy, but very spicy. It was more than my 8-year-old could handle. I think I like them better with Jimmy Dean, but glad I tried the Italian sausage. I have another pound in the fridge, so will probably make one more like this. I may fry some bacon to put in the middle like the "bacon explosion"

Very much like one that I made a few weeks ago. Did you use sweet or hot sausage? I thought my veggies were a little soft and that I might put them in raw next time, how did yours seem?

I used hot sausage. It was definitely spicy.

Nice job and great pics! How many briquettes did you wind up using?

I ended up using 12-15 briquettes and a couple of wood chunks. I started with 20 briquettes all lit and ashed over, but had to take some out because the temp hit 325 to start... even after closing the bottom vents to barely cracked open. About an hour into it I added 5 more lit briquettes and 2 hours into it I added 3 more lit briquettes. Kept it around 250.

Very much like one that I made a few weeks ago. Did you use sweet or hot sausage? I thought my veggies were a little soft and that I might put them in raw next time, how did yours seem?

I only sauteed them for a couple of minutes. I can't stand the "crunch" of vegetables, so I like them soft.

Chef Jim, I agree with the veggie thing. I made my first fatty a few weeks ago and will start with raw veggies next time. I had sauteed them just a little and they were too soggy.

I have a question about the smoke. I only used one small chunk of hickory and it seemed way too smoky. Since pretty much all bacon is already smoked, I'm thinking about not using any wood next time.
Any other experience with that?

Nice looking fatty there........

Dave, I think it depends on your liking of smoke flavor, yes bacon is smoked but not as much as say a butt or ribs. Just try it once without and see if that hits your button for smoke.

Back