Cook times for pork butt with a lot of folds

pc132

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have this pork butt that has sooo many folds in it, that I can pretty much pull it apart almost like it is a giant slinky. So, the thickest part of any butt is more like 6 inches than 12 inches. Does the cook time change a lot for pork butts that have a lot of folds, versus a pork butt that is more or less one solid piece?

Thanks,

Like DeepElmQue said, tie it up with butchers twine or you can buy netting to hold it together.

Butcher's Netting

Once it is tied it will cook according to the weight, if there is no bone maybe a little sooner.

I have cooked boneless butts tied and untied, and have decided there is little difference except that you get more waste untied. So, I tie it up, although butchers netting is super easy.

I say cook it just like it is or maybe spread it as much as possible and take advantage of all that surface area and create some monster bark. As far as time, it will probably cook faster being thinner. I would go hot and fast around 300 to get the bark I wanted. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

Is the thickness pretty consistent? If so, I would not truss (as Garrett said, use the surface area to get some extra bark). In not, I would truss.

If it's boneless then cook time will be about the same as bone in. Just needs to be probe tender instead of the bone being loose to test for doneness.

Back