prime rib plan of attack for Christmas Suggestions strongly encouraged

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am going to do my first rib roast for Christmas dinner and I wanted to see what you all thought of my plan for cooking this beautiful piece of meat. Any feedback would be appreciated and PRON will be plentiful once I get started on this bad boy tomorrow.

here are the steps I am planning on taking.
1. cook prime rib following this recipe from TVWB.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast2.html

Basically Season the roast with worstecire sauce and weber brand montreal steak seasoning the night before. Christmas morning I will get the smoker to 325-350 at the vent and cook for 20-30 minutes a lb until internal temp hits 125. Once it hits 125 I will pull from the cooker and tent in foil until chow time. I plan to use one chunk of pecan and one chunk of apple for the smoke wood

As there are several people that will want theirs medium this should work for them to eat the ends and those of us that actually like beef can eat the center slices. I have 5.5 lbs for 4 people so I thought there would be plenty of leftovers.

I am going to make the au jus from a packet and combine it with any drippings I get from the tenting process also would it be good to cook the roast in a pan in the smoker to retain more of the juices?

Sounds like a good plan of attack to me. Cook it. Cut it. Eat it.

As for the pan, I wouldn't cook in a pan. Place the pan on a rack under the roast. Go light on the smoke, too much smoke can ruin a good roast.

Good luck with your first roast.

What's your plan if it's done way early? Tenting and resting is only good for 30 minutes or so. If it is done way early put it into a 140 degree oven to hold. It will creep up slightly, but will still be rare - med rare.

What's your plan if it's done way early? Tenting and resting is only good for 30 minutes or so. If it is done way early put it into a 140 degree oven to hold. It will creep up slightly, but will still be rare - med rare.

In the video that Ray did, he cooked a 5.5 lb. boneless rib roast for about 2 hours at 350 degrees F in his BGE. It was right about 125 degrees F when he took it out. That was a pretty fast cook.

thanks for the input! Could I use a roaster oven if its done way early? We will be using the oven for all the sides at like 350.

I would only use one type of wood for the cook. Pecan and apple have different flavors they impart on the meat. IMO I would just use the pecan and save the apple. I have grilled steaks on my Weber with pecan and it turns out great.

So Pecan it is. Thanks! So I will rub it tonight put it in the fridge and then take it out about an hour or an hour and a half before I put it on the smoker.

bobaftt if you rub to early and your rub has salt you will end up with a plate full of juice before your cook run 1-2 hrs before cook if the rub has lots of salt in it

Back