Newbie comp questions

L

ljh34465

Hi, I am a real newbie and know nothing about comp. Tried Google and search but still have several questions.

I have read that there are three categories, appearance, taste and tenderness. Also, the scoring is done between 9 and 2. Also noted the different categories are weighted differently.

So,
1.) do you get an actual score or just a place in that category?

2. if you do get a score, is it a total or is it broken down into the three components?

3. how does the weighting of different components work?

If you can direct me somewhere where I might find these answers, that would be appreciated. Don't want you wasting time on these.

Thanks, appreciate your help.

I would highly suggest you take a judging class, but to answer your question, you do get a break down on scoring, including the 3 components, and all the other teams that weekend. (KCBS)

I forgot the exact number but taste is the most important, followed by tenderness, then apppearance. (which all count!!)

The best source of info is the KCBS rules for KCBS sanctioned competitions. As Michael mentioned, at the end of the competition you'll get a packet that has your scores broken down by judge (1-6) and by the three criteria for each meat category. You will also get the scores for all teams but those sheets just show the totals, not the breakdown.

This is from the KCBS rules:
6) The weighting factors for the point system are as
follows: Appearance - 0.5714, Taste - 2.2858,
Tenderness - 1.1428.

Going through the scores and analyzing them over and over is a fun thing to do to pass the time on the way home :rolleyes:

thanks, guys. I was just curious what you guys were up against in a comp. Not aspiring to be a judge:-D

Part of my curiousity was whether you got any indication of what component you had to work on.

So if they give you a 9 in appearance, do they multiply it by the weight factor to give you your points in that category? i.e., appearance = 9 X 0.5714 = 5.14 and then do the same for the other two categories to get your final score?

By taking the judging class you'll understand better what is expected of you to turn in and what the judges are instructed to look for.
If you plan on doing any competitions you would greatly benefit by taking the class.

Yes each judge gives a score for appearance taste and tenderness.

For instance a judge giving a 9 9 9 respectively is given the competitor.

(9 x .5714) + (9 x 2.2858 ) + (9 x 1.1428 )

(5.1426) + (20.5722) + (10.2852) = 36 point or a perfect score from that judge.

The lowest score is dropped and the remaining five are tallied. A 180 is a perfect score in any one category.

1's are given in a DQ. Sometimes just for appearance and sometimes for everything. The lowest score you can get is a 20.

So somewhere between 20 and 180 is where we all end up. 4th decimal place is usually where it is decided.

Also everyone is encouraging you to take the judges class because its a lot of fun and a way to get into the BBQ community without spending thousands on equipment meat and contests. Not because they don't want to answer your questions. :)

Read the KCBS rules. The scoring is all explained in there.

http://kcbs.us/pdf/KCBS_Rules_and_Regulations_2009.pdf

Basically, for each judge the raw score (1-9) for each criteria is multiplied by the appropriate weighting factor and then those results are added together to form a final score for that judge. A perfect score of 999 from a judge will equate to a final score of 36. then, all 6 judges' scores are compared and the lowest one is thrown out. then the remaining five scores are totaled to create your final score for that meat category. A perfect score is 5 X 36 = 180.

There is also a full procedure for breaking ties posted on the KCBS site.

Skip and Ron - thanks so much.

I had read the KCBS rules and got the numbers and the weighting but did not know how it was calculated for the final score - must have missed that part.

You gave me exactly what I was looking for - appreciate you taking the time.

Ljh, I just noticed that you were from Ocala. Are you planning on competing in contests sanctioned by KCBS or the Florida BBQ Association?

Here are the scoring rules for FBA contests:

Each entry will be scored by 6 FBA certified judges in the areas of PRESENTATION, TASTE / FLAVOR, and TENDERNESS / TEXTURE. Scoring ranges from a low of 5.0 to a high of 10.0 in increments of .5 points for each category. Using a weighted average, the maximum score for a category is 200 points. Any entry that is disqualified as per section 13 will receive a score of zero for all three categories from all six judges at that table.

And a link:

http://www.flbbq.org/fba_rules.htm

It looks like you were referring to KCBS contests seeing as how you were referring to scoring betwween 2 and 9 but thought I'd add the other rules as the FBA is the dominant sanctioning body in your state.

Best of luckk to you with competition BBQ. Let us know how you do.

Don't go over-analyzing the results too much. You'll drive yourself crazy.
:-D

Don't go over-analyzing the results too much. You'll drive yourself crazy.
:-D

But thats the whole fun of it isn't it?:|:|:| Getting all worked up...screaming about that "stupid" judge who doesn't know BBQ because they gave you 666 when everyone else was 8's and 9's.:evil::evil::evil: Yelling at team mates and family members.:oops::oops::oops: Making them not want to ride in the car with you.:shock::shock::shock: Screaming at the guy in front of you at the bridge because they are just an idiot for being in front of you.:roll::roll::roll: Craving the ability to exit the car and watch teeth fly across your hood like chicklets even though you've been threatened with divorce if you do.:eek::eek::eek: Hmm I like reading the scores over and over. :lol::lol::lol:

Great post and very informative on the rules details and how they compute etc.

(Ron, Please keep in mind this is not the real Skip we are dealing with;
the real Skip was abducted by Aliens and other strange beings from another Planet back on June 3rd and his body and mind are no longer his own.:p)

Thanks everyone - a great response that anwered my questions - really appreciate it.

Back