View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #2533
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with dumping the ash pan, sounds like the sides are too high and restricting airflow.
In my opinion, 3-3/4" Intakes are plenty.
I'd be much more concerned with the Exhaust end.

Question: Are you talking about 3/4 inch Intake holes in the drum? I'm proally wrong, but it sounds like you may be using 1/2" nipples. Spank me.
Mine runs fine up to 350* but then again I'm using Redneck's 8 1/2" hole system for Exhaust.

Weiser

[quote=michiana mark;870040]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post
Finished up my first UDS this weekend, and test fired it. (Ok finished is a bit of an overstatement - there are still needs a custom paint job, handles, smoke stack, and of course a bottle opener). The test fire left me with a lot of unanswered issues.

The pit currently has 3-3/4x1/2 bushings (set at 3" on outside), the 3"x18" cheep grill ash pan, and a fire basket made of #9 3/4 expanded mesh - 14" diameter, 12" tall - with the fire grill set at 3", and a 2" conduit fitting smokestack.

With a load of approximately 5lbs of terrible wood, and 5lbs of the bottom of a bag of lump, I got 175 with the valve open, 225 with the valve and one nipple open, and 300 with the valve and both nipples open.

Those temps seemed low to me. But hard to say if I work it with 10lbs of dryer lump (and a smoke stack) what the temps will end up. I am worried about the 3" height of the ask tray - I could cut it down, or ventilate it. Seems overkill to change to 1" nipples, but wonder if the bushings 3/4x1/2 bushings are restricting draft. end quote]

Try using charcoal, mine runs better versus the lump. Also loose the ash catcher, it sounds like your fire basket sits to far down into it. Got to let it breathe. If after that you don't get higher temp, you can always add another air inlet. Sounds like you have enough exhaust. Smoke on!!!!!
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote