Which Built-in Gasser for BBQ Island

Thawley

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I'm a little embarrassed to be asking, but...

We're looking at doing a patio in the backyard this summer. I'm not givin' up the smoker. But I'd like to step up my gasser to one o'them fancy built-in jobs with a concrete-topped BBQ island that's part of the hardscape design...

Currently, I've got a 22"x34" propane deal. I like it a lot, but converting it to NG will be tough cause its a weirdo off-brand deal. And, it does not have a lid that can be used while cooking. Plus, its ugly.

SO...

What should I be looking for? I've never shopped for one of these things before.

I know it's not in my character but you might try craigslist. :biggrin: Lot's of people went into making them to get rich quick and now are selling off. Definitely go for brand name and one with a sear burner.

Oh, I'll build my own island...

I'm just tryin' to figger out what kinda grill to put in it. Wuts a sear burner? That the electric one in the back for the rotisserie?

Oh, I'll build my own island...

I'm just tryin' to figger out what kinda grill to put in it. Wuts a sear burner? That the electric one in the back for the rotisserie?

Sear burner is a ceramic burner rather than a steel forged or tube burner. It produces much higher heat, but does not do well on low temps. Basically it is either HOT or HOTTER.

BBQ Galore's Turbo brand is not bad for a built in. Jen Aire makes a fairly decent built in unit as well. Both can be either propane or natural gas. They both are fairly well priced for what you get. I like the forged burners that I had in my Turbo in Virginia and now in my Jen Aire here in SC. That said, this years Jen Aires at Lowes no longer seem to have the forged burners.

I've been seeing a lot of drop in grills by DCS, Viking and Weber lately on CL up here.

There's a high end appliance store up here listing Vikings ($3000) and other top name grills on CL, getting rid of their old stock. How much you looking to spend?

I've been seeing a lot of drop in grills by DCS, Viking and Weber lately on CL up here.
DCS is local... Maybe they have factory refurbs or blems? Worth checking out.

I really have no business spending big dollars on this. But damn. Kinda like to do it right. I really do like having a gasser for grilled veggies and quickie back yard chicken and what not.

DCS is local... Maybe they have factory refurbs or blems? Worth checking out.

I really have no business spending big dollars on this. But damn. Kinda like to do it right. I really do like having a gasser for grilled veggies and quickie back yard chicken and what not.
That's partly what Eggs are for!:biggrin:

Back