sausage question.

smooookin

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Most of the recipes I found called for adding water into the mix. I did add water but it seemed like it made the meat kind of mushy (?). Can someone tell me the reason for adding water?

I think it is so it will flow thru the stuffer. NUTZ

I add water when I make pork sausage and summer sausage. I add if for a couple reasons. I add garlic to my sausage and to do this I add the garlic to the water in a blender. Then pour the garlic water into the sausage. This added moisture also helps with stuffing.

To me it sounds like you are adding too much water. I add about a half gallon to about 100lbs of meat. I don't really measure, I go more by feel.

PM me if you have any more questions. I would be happy to help with my limited knowledge

Nate

Thanks for the offer.
I added a half cup for the four lbs we had. I think the next time I will either eliminate it all together or at least cut it to a quarter.

Turned out great!!! LOL the heartburn is killin me!!

:lol::lol::lol:

I've been using beer in my sausage from a suggestion of a sausage making friend. I mix my dry spices with the beer and it helps to distribute the spice mix within the meat when I mix.

James.

I woulldn't eliminate the water (liquid). It helps mix the spices and gives moisture to the finished product. Just make sure it's ice cold when you add it to the meat. Substitute beer, wine or other liquid for more flavor.

I add water when I make pork sausage and summer sausage. I add if for a couple reasons. I add garlic to my sausage and to do this I add the garlic to the water in a blender. Then pour the garlic water into the sausage. This added moisture also helps with stuffing.

To me it sounds like you are adding too much water. I add about a half gallon to about 100lbs of meat. I don't really measure, I go more by feel.

PM me if you have any more questions. I would be happy to help with my limited knowledge

Nate
Yes I think your knowledge here might be limited Nathan. You have to make over 1,000 lbs. of sausage a year to qualify and you only made 1,000 lbs. Now if you would have made 1 lb. more, then you could make a valid comment on this subject.:wink:

Well I haven't made 1000# of sausage in my life but I'm gonna post anyway:biggrin:. (Holiday Inn Express mod)

If you let the mixture set in the freezer for about 10 min all the water will absorb into the meat. It will make the sausage much more moist when cooked. It's especially needed when your stuffing the sausage so the meat slides into the casings easier.

Sausage needs some additional moisture., and time for it to re-absorb and equalize. It's just like making a hamburger or a meatloaf without adding a splash of water or beer, it will come out drier.

I didnt add a binder, but I seemed to cook up just fine. Next run I think I will toss it back in the freezer for a few minutes before I run it thru the grinder the second time.

I have one 4 1/2lb. butt left. 10lbs of bacon curing and three lbs of sausage in the fridge. I am thinking the freezer needs 4lbs of sausage on stand by. Might have to give the beer a try.

Just made some brats yesterday. Added beer to those. I have forgotten the liquid in the past and it seemed to come out ok. I like to use a broth or beer instead of just water.
By the way. After running out of casing towards the end of the brat run, I took the remaining meat, mixed in some chopped onions, jalapanios, asiago and provel cheese, rulled in in my pork rub and made one helluva fattie!

Beer Brauts are rapidly moving to the top of the list. I didnt put the sausage in casing, as I have always been a pattie man myself.

Well my total poundage for sausage making is 6 lbs, but this is what I was told. Waht all the guys above said.. helps ditribute the flavors throughout the sausage, adds moisture, makes it move better through the stuffer:roll:

Back