Attn: Northern Cali Brethren

Thanks to the Brethren for their donation and Bob thanks to your group for doing this You guys are awesome and make all of us proud :thumb: To quote LMAJU Brethren Rock

I want to point out, as I have been receiving thanks for this...I have been doing not a whole lot, other than asking other people to do stuff. Here is what I know...

Motoeric has been kicking azz, making calls, getting donors and doing it all behind the scenes. If this comes off, he deserves a big call out. If it doesn't, it sure as heck wasn't his fault.

Marty Leach has donated hours of his time to the effort, making calls and doubling the money we have, including getting the cooking end taken care of.

Dave and Deny, of Bart's Blazin' Q have committed so much, Dave has insisted that he be allowed to run the cook, as he wants so badly to cook for these people, and Deny is planning on using their catering equipment, so the troops and families eat off of real service.

BBQ Grail has taken the initiative and is working with the National Guard, making the calls and arranging the schedule.

I sit around, eating cookies and asking people to do stuff, and they do it. People are committing their spouses, kids, resources etc...it is a busy time of year. I think many of these people understand that some of these people will be seeing their family come back together in just the right moment, but, others will be sending mom or dad off to 'who knows where' right when you want them at home. I appreciate the kudos, but, am going to spread them around generously.

Oh, and these products are being given to us. And not one of them has asked for recognition:
Head Country Sauce and Rubs
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce
Bart's Blazin' Q BBQ sauce

I truly do not think any of us knows the full depth of generosity that Phil shows for a whole lot of people in this country. Through the Brethren, and I don't, for a minute, believe it is really from the Brethren, Phil is making assurances that whatever we need, we will have the resources needed to make this thing happen.

I am speaking a little out of school here, but, I spoke with Phil yesterday, and I believe he was genuinely hurt, that I did not reach out to him and the Brethren first, to help make this happen. To be fair, I reached out to some local friends, and would never call someone in New York at 10pm West Coast time. Although I don't think Phil sleeps.

Update 11/16/2013

I now must learn to tell time military style :rolleyes: 13:38 huh?

Seriously, here is the new and not changing menu:
Tri-tip, Santa Maria style
Grilled marinated chicken breasts
Pulled pork
Hotdogs (for kids, unless someone really needs one)
miscellaneous rolls
flour tortillas (Sonoran style)

Caesar Salad
DeGuerre's Slaw
Fajita style vegetables
Rancho beans

Peach Cobbler
Cookies (chocolate chip, molasses, whatever I can get donated)

Head Country BBQ sauce
Bart's Blazin' Q BBQ sauce
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce (mild, medium, hot, why on earth!?)

We have made contact with the command officers and will see the facility this week. Dave Bart and I have discussed the food, and feel that we are pretty solid on everything. We will have two Backwoods cookers and a Santa Maria rig on site. We have upwards of 30 total volunteers from the Brethren and local friends, who will be serving, cooking and clean-up. At this point, thanks to everyone who has kicked in, we are looking like 95% of the details are covered.

As veteran......
I say to you folks...... THANK YOU! for making this, a day to remember for these troops and their families.
To them I say... THANK YOU! for serving, which allows us the freedom to pursue our passion.

I am sorry that I can not be in attendance...

The four legged member of our family is scheduled for major surgery to repair a torn CCL (similar to ACL in humans) on the 6th, she will remain in the doggy hospital overnight and return home on the 7th.

This is a really GREAT! thing you guys 'n gals are doing for our troops. :thumb::thumb:

KUDOS to ALL! :clap2::clap2:

Rick, thank you for serving, I am glad to get to do this. I love cooking for people, and although profoundly too lazy to work in the food industry, I love the feeling of feeding people great food. And for a good cause, it can't be beat.

As a Desert Storm Vet, my family and I would be proud to help. I have a La Caja China #2 and a 22" WSM to bring. I can do a whole pig if we want. Is this going to be at Camp Parks ?

Jim

We are still looking for meat, particularly tri-tip. We have the pork butts covered, and will likely grab the chicken from the usual resource that Dave Bart uses for his catering gigs. We have about 20 pounds of tri-tip committed to the cause. We will still be needing somewhere around 45 pounds of that meat.

We are rolling along, we had the bump, that we went from 200 soldiers and family, to 350 soldiers and family. Victims of our own success. We are scrambling and getting things pulled together. With a couple weeks to go, I am feeling pretty good about where we are. The USO has stepped in with an offer to handle drinks, so our budget, which is a little close, will be largely for meat and desserts.

We have had a great outpouring of generosity from a broad group of people to get this going. We have a ton of Northern California Brethren and CBBQA people stepping up. Now, we just need a few more bucks and the time to get organized for an onslaught of hungry families. This will be a fun and rewarding event.
Oh, and it is on Pearl Harbor day....
Yes, the jump from 200 to 350 makes a huge difference in everything!

Rick
We will miss you. I will be wearing my Vietnam Vet hat and a pig T shirt. You will be represented dude!

As veteran......
I say to you folks...... THANK YOU! for making this, a day to remember for these troops and their families.
To them I say... THANK YOU! for serving, which allows us the freedom to pursue our passion.

I am sorry that I can not be in attendance...

The four legged member of our family is scheduled for major surgery to repair a torn CCL (similar to ACL in humans) on the 6th, she will remain in the doggy hospital overnight and return home on the 7th.

This is a really GREAT! thing you guys 'n gals are doing for our troops. :thumb::thumb:

KUDOS to ALL! :clap2::clap2:

Thanks Guerry! We still need a bit of money here to get this done. A real bummer they cranked it from 200 to 350 people. Way more resources needed. We are trying to provide them with a quality BBQ meal of Tri-Tip, Pulled pork sammies, Chicken, hot dogs, Caesar salad, cole slaw, Smoked BBQ beans, Mac and Cheese, Vegetable fajitas and a host of desserts. Big job and fighting for money.... money can go to martyleach@paypal.com and anything helps. Thanks so much

Thank you to all who have supported us in every single way with the cook. Every day, we are closer and closer to making this an exceptional welcome home, bon voyage event. The Sergeant and Sergeant Major continually express their gratitude to all of us who are supporting them.

Back