The Bacon Tomato sandwich

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I wait all year for these, as I really only like them when I have grown the tomato. Even the store bought Frou-frou tomatoes seem to lack something compared to the one's I can grow on my own. And since it has been over 3 years since I actually planted a tomato patch, this was a great treat. Shown here, are a Brandywine Sudduth's and a Berkeley Tie-dye tomato.

Brandywine Sudduth's (l.), Berkeley Tie-dye (r.)

A couple of side notes, I have grown the Brandywine several times in my backyard, and it's reputation as one of the best tasting tomatoes around has been sorely missed by me. It was never a good tomato, but, since I was planting my front yard, I gave it a shot, and it has been quite good. The Berkeley Tie-dye is a particular favorite of mine, as I was friends with Brad Gates (back when I was far more active as a gardener)(who am I kidding, I have never been an active gardener) at the time he developed the tomato and was fortunate enough to be one of the people who got an early taste of the new variety. It killed me this year, soooo slow. The first one to set a fruit, it took months to ripen. That is the real color, no enhancement, it is one striking tomato.

Anyways, here they are sliced and waiting for the bread to toast up and the bacon to crisp.

Brandywine Sudduth's (l.), Berkeley Tie-dye (r.)

Beautiful beefsteak type locules, I should have saved seed, but, I ate them. These slices were joined by some Neuske's bacon, allegedly and arguably the best bacon you can get. It is really quite good. I found some 'brown and serve' Ciabatta buns at the grocery store, that really offer a great fresh baked texture. And I used some frou-frou mayonnaise from cold-expeller pressed oil. It does taste good, especially with several grinds of fresh black pepper and a little smoked Maldon salt.

The sandwiches

Realistically, the only reason I grow tomatoes anymore is for the sandwiches and the occasional pasta dish. I am most definitely happy with how this turned out.

That looks great, Bob!

Our neighbor at the Kenosha competition brought us a sack full of veggies from his garden, including some beautiful beefsteak tomatoes. We had caprese salad last night and BLaTs (Bacon, Lettuce, avocado and Tomato) sandwiches are on the menu for tonight!

This was a few days ago, Brandywine and Hillbilly tomatoes and a home made basil and garlic aioli dressing...
sandwich_zpse95f6798.jpg

here is what I did, some of this hinges on your experience with making mayonnaise, although you can cheat and just use store bought mayonnaise as well.

First, using some garlic and salt in either a mortar and pestle or a metal bowl, mash the garlic and salt into a fine paste. Obviously, this is easier in a m&p, or a machine. Snip the basil into the garlic paste and mash or process until it is a coarse paste, add some olive oil, or neutral oil if that is your preference, and process. You are making a basil and garlic infused oil, more than a true pesto.

At this point, you could just whip the basil oil into some store bought mayo and be done. Or go nuts, and break some eggs. You need one egg yolk for around 3/4 cup of the oil. You will also need some vinegar (1/8 cup scant for each egg yolk). In a food processor or large bowl, combine egg yolks and vinegar until integrated and light yellow. If using a food processor, drizzle slowly the oil into the food processor as it runs on low to medium low. It will come together, it takes a little patience, as the oil should never pool. My food processor as a tiny hole in the pusher, if I fill the pusher with oil, it feeds perfectly.

If doing by hand, place the bowl on a damp towel ring, so it stays put, and using a balloon whisk, incorporate the oil slowly, whisking after each drizzle. This gives the best texture.

Looks great! I like the way you waste no space with lettuce...

Our tomatoes are just starting to ripen.. taking too darn long!

Just as I said in my thread a few weeks ago.... I LOVE MATER SAMMICHES!!

Those look great! My faves are the simple mater, mayo, white bread, salt and pepper as I don't like them to compete with good bread or toasting.

HOWEVER! I love making your kind as well. Since there's a sauce and savory meat involved the good bread and toasting goes soooooo very well!!

Sooooooo....it looks like I got some fancy mater sammiches to make to break up my current summer binge.:clap::clap:

Although I will mention that the massive amount of rain we have gotten this summer has really put a hurtin on the quality of maters around here. My new place I've moved to has no area suitable for the kind I like to grow(very little sunlight during the day) so I've had to work the farmers markets heavy.:mmph:

here is what I did, some of this hinges on your experience with making mayonnaise, although you can cheat and just use store bought mayonnaise as well.

First, using some garlic and salt in either a mortar and pestle or a metal bowl, mash the garlic and salt into a fine paste. Obviously, this is easier in a m&p, or a machine. Snip the basil into the garlic paste and mash or process until it is a coarse paste, add some olive oil, or neutral oil if that is your preference, and process. You are making a basil and garlic infused oil, more than a true pesto.

At this point, you could just whip the basil oil into some store bought mayo and be done. Or go nuts, and break some eggs. You need one egg yolk for around 3/4 cup of the oil. You will also need some vinegar (1/8 cup scant for each egg yolk). In a food processor or large bowl, combine egg yolks and vinegar until integrated and light yellow. If using a food processor, drizzle slowly the oil into the food processor as it runs on low to medium low. It will come together, it takes a little patience, as the oil should never pool. My food processor as a tiny hole in the pusher, if I fill the pusher with oil, it feeds perfectly.

If doing by hand, place the bowl on a damp towel ring, so it stays put, and using a balloon whisk, incorporate the oil slowly, whisking after each drizzle. This gives the best texture.

alright

thats it

BLT's for din for me

nothing fancy though

I will try your recipe, but not this time!!

thanks!!

...Although I will mention that the massive amount of rain we have gotten this summer has really put a hurtin on the quality of maters around here. My new place I've moved to has no area suitable for the kind I like to grow(very little sunlight during the day) so I've had to work the farmers markets heavy.:mmph:
If you get heat, you can grow tomatoes, all they need, especially the larger salad types, is good heat and filtered sunlight. I have grown tomatoes such as Eva Purple Ball and Hillbilly under a mulberry tree with good results on warm years.

Wow those look great! We don't have good luck up here with growing tomatoes; must be the fact we can only use pots. Back in Louisiana we would grow Creole tomatoes which are awesome - meaty and very heat tolerant.

Great looking sandwich! I love this time of year when the homegrown tomatoes are ripe. They are so incredibly much better than anything you can get at a grocery store. I just made a big pot of pico di gallo salsa. It is so sweet from the toms that you would swear I used sugar.

Back