pellet envy question

I think Rod nailed it with the golf analogy...

golf clubs are rated in several categories such as game improvement, senior players and better players. Here is my two cents on his comment...

pellet burner= game improvement

stick burner = better players

I heard Johnny Trigg say on one show...(parapharse) "if they're using a pellet cooker I know they're amateurs".

I have a stick burner because I wanted to learn fire management and I don't mind baby sitting the pit. Plus I like the idea of man and fire...woohoo, I get excited just thinking about dragging my wife across the cave...:shocked: oh wait!! Lost my train of thought...:crazy: anywho, Pellet burners are more set and forget in my humble opinion.

I think Rod nailed it with the golf analogy...

golf clubs are rated in several categories such as game improvement, senior players and better players. Here is my two cents on his comment...

pellet burner= game improvement

stick burner = better players

I heard Johnny Trigg say on one show...(parapharse) "if they're using a pellet cooker I know they're amateurs".

I have a stick burner because I wanted to learn fire management and I don't mind baby sitting the pit. Plus I like the idea of man and fire...woohoo, I get excited just thinking about dragging my wife across the cave...:shocked: oh wait!! Lost my train of thought...:crazy: anywho, Pellet burners are more set and forget in my humble opinion.
I use both. Both types of cookers have their place. If I'm wanting a classic BBQ smoke flavor, I'm using the stickburner. If I want to spend time with my family or doing something else, I use the pellet pit. Both have good smoke flavor and both make great 'Q, it just depends on which I feel like that day. I'm sure Rod still fires up the FEC's every now and again.

Rod,

I hope you will post a little bit more on this topic when you have time.

I'd really like to hear your full perspective on the subject. At some point I will be getting "serious" into competing, and while currently a FEC-100/PG-500 user would like the pro's and con's of each based on someone who has "been there and done that".

I modified my FEC-100 so I could put wood chunks near the fire-box, which I think really helped with the smoke flavor, but obviously it doesn't turn it into a stick burner.

Anyways, thanks for your thoughts thus far on this subject.

Maybe I can make it my goal to be KCBS ToTY with a pellet cooker one day. Hehe.

Back