Yoder peeps ver damper position

Smoke&HoneyBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Last weekend ran some experiments trying to get the bottom shelf to balance out.

With the damper all the way open I could be over 300 on the right side where the left side was registering maybe 220. Closing the damper all the way kept the left at 220 but only dropped the right down to about 280. Was programmed for 210-215. I even tried the recommended closing it about 6 inches and it jumped it to almost be identical to running the damper wide open.

This was with 3 slabs of ribs on the top, 2 briskets on the bottom, and some beans relaxing on the top right so the smoker had some decent meat on it.

What have you found to be the best damper position for even smoking?

The way to accomplish this is to use the defuser plate. Do you have one? That will really do the job. Using a full run of grill grates with the difuser will do it too if you are grilling. Your only hot spots will be on the edges.

I don't notice a big difference either in pushing the damper all the way to the left, but it does even out the pit a little.

The way to accomplish this is to use the defuser plate. Do you have one? That will really do the job. Using a full run of grill grates with the difuser will do it too if you are grilling. Your only hot spots will be on the edges.

There is a diffuser plate already running the length of the smoker. At least that is what I assume the metal plate below the grates to be.

I don't notice a big difference either in pushing the damper all the way to the left, but it does even out the pit a little.

Cool I was reading last night people suggest all the way to the right and then bring it in 2-3 inches.

Back