PBC vs WSM

There are just some things in life that make you smile. I don't have a drum cooker. For now I must be happy with what I have. I attended Louisiana College in Pineville Louisiana in the late 70's. There was a Q joint on the way to class and the old man cooked his Q over and in old double circle co-op barrels. Best darn Q, and what I have eventually come to judge all other. Barrels rock.

I think of that old man often. Tonight I am smoking a fatty, along with redfish and speckled trout from Lake Calcasieu caught late last year. I'm sure he has passed away. But I'm sure he would be proud of me, if not for smoking, but using my Mini WSM (tamale pot counts as a barrel-right?) that I semi home made.

WSM 22.5" > PBC

Ill take weber over any other grill/smoker in the same category and price range.

Weber hasn't been around forever because they produce garbage products.

Very very valid point there. But the PBC is not garbage I was impressed when it showed up. Not saying the PBC trumps the wsm but honestly Noah the owner puts his number on it and why not give it a shot? Plus he is a Vet so thats a plus in my book!

I was over at tvwbb earlier reading old threads about mini wsm's. There was a post from sometime in '09 talking about hanging ribs. Showed the rod and hooks. Fellow said it worked very well! Found it very interesting indeed.

You guys really complicate things for a newbie. I just got started on this low and slow thing with a offset smoker a friend gave me. Now you got me looking at WSM's, BGE's and you throw PSB's into the equation. I don't have a big enough patio for all those cookers.
Did you know pecan smoke attracts flies?

You guys really complicate things for a newbie. I just got started on this low and slow thing with a offset smoker a friend gave me. Now you got me looking at WSM's, BGE's and you throw PSB's into the equation. I don't have a big enough patio for all those cookers.

That's what they make garages and storage sheds for!

Relax. I've used a Weber kettle for over 4 decades, much of it low and slow, indirect. Use what you got and learn, and enjoy reading about what others are using.
Personally, from what I had learned from this thread, if I were to buy another cooker, it would be a WSM. Otherwise I would build a UDS. YOMV.

Relax. I've used a Weber kettle for over 4 decades, much of it low and slow, indirect. Use what you got and learn, and enjoy reading about what others are using.
Personally, from what I had learned from this thread, if I were to buy another cooker, it would be a WSM. Otherwise I would build a UDS. YOMV.

I've got an 18" WSM on my back patio that I haven't touched since 2009. Do
you want to come get it? :razz:

John

And I have 2 uds's that I haven't used since 2010 because I prefer my 18" wsm. See how that works.

I've hung ribs in my modified Brinkman bullet smoker (ECB). Worked quite well and most efficient way to handle several slabs for its small size.
But since building my UDS I haven't used my ECB all that much...

I've got 2 gas grills, a New Bruensfel offset and a 22" weber kettle that I use once or twice a year to do a turkey. I do a lot of rotisserie grilling on the one gas grill and steaks on the other. I'm a widower so I take a lot of food to work and share. I'm still modifying the offset.

Never seen a PBC before. One question comes to mind (which may have been discussed before but I'll ask anyway...) how do you deal with the direct heat of the fire, especially when doing ribs? I mean, the bottom of a hanging rack is right down there near the fire. It can't cook at the same rate as the top, correct? Do you have to take them out and swap ends once in a while or what?

Never seen a PBC before. One question comes to mind (which may have been discussed before but I'll ask anyway...) how do you deal with the direct heat of the fire, especially when doing ribs? I mean, the bottom of a hanging rack is right down there near the fire. It can't cook at the same rate as the top, correct? Do you have to take them out and swap ends once in a while or what?

It has been discussed at length in other threads. My best advice is to watch and see.

[ame]http://youtu.be/s1skLsFWUr4[/ame]

John

I saw that but I don't have any sound on the computer I'm on and I'm at work so I can't do an extensive search at the moment. After a look around, I saw you posted this:
... makes the meat cook very evenly with no
flipping or tending...
So you don't have to flip the racks end for end huh? I never would've thunk it.

I don't have a PBC so really can't compare but I purchased a 22.5" WSM a few months back and could not be happier.

Back