• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Is "boiling beef" equal to a brisket?

Eggspert

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was asked to smoke a couple briskets for an office get together. My supervisor agreed to supply the briskets if I cooked them (he raises cattle on his farm and has them custom butchered to his liking). Generally I try not to agree to cook "other people's meat" for obvious reasons that will follow, but I figured I'd give it a try this one time.

Anyway, I was given the meat today which is frozen and wrapped in butcher's paper. Stamped on the paper, are the words "BOILING BEEF".

Are these two cuts of beef brisket? They are approximately 5-6 lbs each. I fully understand they are not packers. A quick google search shows that it may be brisket, rump roast, or flank steak.

This might be a good time to mention that also stamped on the package is "JAN 19 2008". What have I gotten myself into?

Is there anyway I could cook this meat (if it is truly brisket) like a brisket and have it turn out?

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like brisket flats. Can't explain the '08 date! :twisted:
But, since you didn't post pics I/we can't even really hazard a guess at the cut!!
Check with "the man". If they are from '08 I don't think I'd want to be responsible. YMMV!

This sounds all kinds of scary :razz:. Granted meat can be frozen almost indefinitely and eaten safely with only the quality suffering over time, but 1 year is about my cap for frozen meat.

In terms of what they are, no way to tell. People often boil brisket though.

As for 2008, it would totally depend on the way it was stored. Even a good chest freezer for the home, as long as it is not self-defrosting, you should be okay. That being said, I would unwrap and take a look.

I'd say if there's a good bit of freezer burn on it, I'd decline to cook it. I wouldn't take the chance on smoking it if it's not brisket and having it dry out. I'd take the middle road and do a good braise on it.

If he "raises" cattle you'd think he'd pull out the good stuff for his employees. Looks more like he's trying to unload some old beef on em instead. Sorry, but this looks like a bad situation all the way around.

Since '08!? I would be surprised if it's not freezer burnt and doesn't taste terrible no matter how you cook it.

Take it on!!! If it's a little freezer burned trim it up and cook it like a chuckie. The challenge lies in creating something great out of nothing.

Here's the thing. Let's say it does taste like old, freezer burned, funky beef. You cooked it, it falls on you. At that point, are you willing to tell everyone that their supervisor gave you 4 year old meat to cook and serve to them. The product was already flawed at that point.
It's a tough call and you might end up holding the bag on it.........literally! You risk taking a hit to your credibility because of the old beef you were given to work with.

He should be pulling out the prime rib roasts! But that's just me.........:-D
Bob

If that date is verified .... talking about aging!?!?

Would rather grab a shovel, dig a deep hole for the beef... than trying to dig yourself out with your cooking reputation and your boss' questionable choice of 'aged' cuts.

I start with the phrase that he is "my supervisor". 8)
It would be in my advantage to cook something really good to bolster my rep as a cook and to make him happy!

I would just go buy a couple of briskets (probably flats) and cook them up.

You look good, he looks good, and I doubt that anyone (including him) would know the difference.

Small price to pay to avoid a potential "problem". 8)

Let us know how it goes--OK?

TIM

I agree with the Kapn except id probably pick up a nice big packer, that would equal those 2 flats imagine their looks when they get some of that point???

Seriously, I don't cook anything I haven't purchased/cared for. I understand your spot, but its also your name people will remember if its bad or good.....

I start with the phrase that he is "my supervisor". 8)
It would be in my advantage to cook something really good to bolster my rep as a cook and to make him happy!

I would just go buy a couple of briskets (probably flats) and cook them up.

You look good, he looks good, and I doubt that anyone (including him) would know the difference.

Small price to pay to avoid a potential "problem". 8)

Let us know how it goes--OK?

TIM

I agree. Frozen meat from a slaughterhouse packer after about 2 years gets a funky taste in my experience. I would "substitute". You look good, he looks good. Nobody gets hurt. Then you can experiment at home with what he gave you. It is good for practice no matter how it tastes.

I agree. Frozen meat from a slaughterhouse packer after about 2 years gets a funky taste in my experience. I would "substitute". You look good, he looks good. Nobody gets hurt. Then you can experiment at home with what he gave you. It is good for practice no matter how it tastes.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't "waste" what he gave you, experiment with it and if it is good, then eat it and if not, poison the dogs with it. I have eaten meat that had come from the packing house 2 1/2 - 3 years old from my own freezer that had gotten stuck behind something or whatever and only a "very few" times have I opened it up to find it freezer burned or it have an off flavor. If the packing house is good and they wrap it in high quality, waxed freezer paper, it should be fine or at least it is for a couple years anyway. I've never found one from 4 years ago mind ya. Don't know what I would expect to find from one frozen that long.

i wouldn't switch new meat for what he gave you unless you were prepared to do that everytime in the future. Do you really want to do that?

Would thaw, check it out & if questionable tell your supervisor and ask what he wants to do. You're cooking for him for free, why should you buy the meat?

While I can see the reasoning with the act of buying meat to save the deal, I agree with Frognot. You shouldn't cover up for it out of your pocket. If it's bad or funky in any way, tell him about it. Let him know that it was probably due to being 4 years old. He may not even have seen the date, but needs to know about it. Also let him know that if you proceed with cooking it and it makes people sick or just tastes bad.....well, then that's not something you want to be saddled with.
Tell him to break out with the ribeyes, t-bones, etc. He's holding out, I tell ya!:-D

Back