Cooking 2 Butts for the crew at work tomorrow. Questions?

Scooter B

Reaction score
So we are doing a Christmas cookout for the crew at work tomorrow, one of the guys is doing 2 briskets hunks on his small offset (it will be tight) I am doing 2 7 LB butts. I will have 7 hours for my cook. I was thinking about trying to do them on my mini WSM, they will fit with my rack set up. I also have a ECB that I can bring to the yard (and leave it there) and do one on each. It is worthless after the first 3 hours. We also have a 22" kettle out there that I can use as my warming oven once I foil them. I'm not bringing the monster 22.5 out there for just two skinny butts, its a long interstate haul and just too much crap to strap down.

I plan on running them close to 300 until they are ready for foil. Do ya'll think I can pull it off on the mini? It should be a chilly 68 degrees outside :cool:

I think it's totally doable. You're on the right track and I'd use the mini, too.

Should work. I just smoked a 6 pounder on my mini at 300 on Saturday. It worked great.

Is it possible to smoke them till they hit 160 then add liquid and foil, then do the cooler thing and put them in the oven at a higher heat till done after you get there?

I cook my butts at 300 no foil in a 7 lber the bone should just about fall out in 5 hrs

Thanks Guys! That's the plan then. We don't have an oven, it's a construction site/yard with a trailer. It's all fire, all the time. We'll be cooking for 6:00 AM, the butts are all slathered and rubbed and sitting in the fridge.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Sounds like you have a good plan, good luck! I too would use the mini:thumb:

Definitely doable. Did 2 ~7 lb. butts on my mini several months ago.

They came out pretty good, wrapped them in foil at 160, cranked up the heat due to time issues and ran the up to 191. I only rested for 30 min, which I think was my downfall. most of the meat pulled easily, except for the muscle around the bone area, it had to be sliced. The bone didn't pull out as easily as it normaly does.

I think if they were a bit smaller it would have worked better, but the mini was just overloaded and I didn't have the time I needed. I ran it wide open and changed out my coals halfway to keep temp up.

No one seemed to notice though, everyone thought the mini was the coolest thing they had ever seen and they raved about what I would call the worst butts I've cooked in a long time. The briskets were a little smoke heavy, but everyone seemed to love it as well.

Good time had by all.

Back