Small and mini BGE vs. Char-Griller Akorn Kooker

benniesdad

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Stopped by my local Ace Hardware tonight and was looking at Green Eggs. Not saying that I could not become a convert, but all I would really like to use a Komando for is steaks and other high heat type things at temps above what I can reach with my Performer. How do the small and the mini BGE stack up in this regard against their larger sized brothers? I know the larger BGE can really hit some super high temps, but was wondering how the little guys do. The alternative is to go the route of the Char-Griller Akorn Kooker. Would appreciate thoughts from the Brethren.

We are new to the BGE and love it, tonight we grilled two NY strips at 700, they turned out perfect. I would wait until you can purchase a LBGE. Once you have one, I expect you will retire the Performer ( we love Webers, we have a WSM at our cabin in TN). We purchased our LBGE this past October at the annual Eggtoberfest in Hampton, GA, I estimate it saved us $200. The Eggtoberfest is great fun.

I've got a Primo XL and an Akorn. To keep it short, the ceramic Primo is easier to hold temps. Sure the Primo (or any ceramic cooker) is more $, but for me the Primo is a more solid choice.
The Akorn is good, but ask me 2-3 years how its holding up and .....
The Primo? I know it will be exactly the same as it is right now. Same as any other ceramic I guess. Just my opinion :)

I have both a large and small BGE and have no trouble with any temp I want on either, really hot or low and slow. I actually use the small as my tailgating grill. Works great.

I agree with the above, if you can, go with the big green egg. (check with reeves ace hardware in clayton ga. on price :wink:) In the long run you will be most satisfied with this one. If you cant wait go with the Akorn. It's a great grill for the money and cooks really great food. It just wont last like the BGE will.

If considering a Large BGE, also consider the Kamado Joe... It has a few improvements over the BGE, more accessories are included... and it costs a couple of hundred less. The Chargriller Big Steel Keg is well built, the same grill size as the BGE and KH ... but, because it is made of double walled (insulated) steel, it won't break (The ceramics don't break easily, either) and is more portable as the stand, cooker and wheels are one unit. Optional trailer hitch adapter so you can put it on the back of any vehicle with an hitch. Most frugal with fuel of any kamado.

I have a ceramic Oval and love it for everything. If all I am going to do is cook steaks though, what you describe is overkill. It's like purchasing a tank to kill a house fly. I'd urge you to consider a Weber kettle. Unless they're having a sale, you'll have just as good a product for what you want to do and you'll save a ton of money. If you think you might get into cooking other things, then that's another consideration. And yes, although I have not done it myself, I have seen people post beautiful pron of high-temp-cooked steaks on these mini eggs. Of course, if you just want one, then that's another matter.... :cool:

Back