where is all the wagyu?

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
by my estimation, there are hundreds of wagyu packers cooked by competitors every week-end. that's alot of carcasses. where the heck is the rest of the meat going? i don't see it in stores and very rarely if ever see it restaurants, nor have i ever been to a dinner party/event where it was served. so, where is it all? anyway, just wondering.

maybe wrong forum, but i thought competitors might have the best grasp on this line of meat. mods sorry if you have to move.

Restaurants. You also have to wonder how many teams really use it. At $110+ I think it's used less than we seem to think. I'm also firmly in the camp, that for comps, well cooked prime can and does beat well cooked wagyu every weekend. For proof of that you just need to look at the success Creekstone Farms.

Our supplier sells to restaurants. I see waygu steaks on the menu at various steakhouses in around here.

Restaurants here as well, and they ain't paying what you think either.

I happened to be prepping some meats at our supplier one time and listened in on the orders left on their voicemail and was surprised at how many restaurants were ordering Wagyu packers and they are fine dining establishments and not Q joints. I asked the picker and delivery driver about them and they said it was normal and if they couldn't provide it that day, another local supplier would.

interesting guys. thanks. i guess they just aren't making it to the restaurants up this way.
it's dry aged prime up here. maybe they actually are american wagyu and that's their competitive "secret" in the biz.

interesting guys. thanks. i guess they just aren't making it to the restaurants up this way.
it's dry aged prime up here. maybe they actually are american wagyu and that's their competitive "secret" in the biz.

I cornered the market in the Northeast and bought them all :wink:

IMG_3046.jpg

IMG_3837.jpg

Yeah, thats the secret!

There are several restuarants at Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods that serve Wagyu. One even gave me the name of their supplier out of NYC. :becky:

There are several restuarants at Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods that serve Wagyu. One even gave me the name of their supplier out of NYC. :becky:

which are those? i've been to both steakhouses bar americain and MJ's. neither had it on the menu.

Paragon also has Wagyu, and the ribeye is half the price of Craft Steak. http://www.foxwoods.com/uploadedFiles/Pages/Dine/Paragon%20Dinner%20Menu.pdf

Shrine in MGM used to have it, but I don't see it on the menu currently - probably due to Sledneck's plan to corner the market. :becky:

Off topic: David Burke's Prime doesn't have it, but I highly recommend that place. It's one of the better Foxwoods restaurants.

Brisket Leaders

1. BIG T'Z Q CRU 2690
  2. TippyCanoe BBQ Crew 2628
These are from the KCBS standings. I know for sure one of these teams uses wagyu and am fairly certain the other does as well. While Creekstone Farms has an excellent product, to say that prime beats wagyu "every weekend" doesn't seem to be the case.

Restaurants. You also have to wonder how many teams really use it. At $110+ I think it's used less than we seem to think. I'm also firmly in the camp, that for comps, well cooked prime can and does beat well cooked wagyu every weekend. For proof of that you just need to look at the success Creekstone Farms.

Last edited:
Brisket Leaders

1. BIG T'Z Q CRU 2690
These are from the KCBS standings. I know for sure one of these teams uses wagyu and am fairly certain the other does as well. While Creekstone Farms has an excellent product, to say that prime beats wagyu "every weekend" doesn't seem to be the case.

I still stand by my statement that prime beats wagyu every single weekend. In the example you provided we're looking at two of the absolute best competition teams going. I'd feel confident saying they would still dominate with prime or a good CAB.

Now, Tippy Canoe and Big T'z, both teams I respect like crazy and aspire to someday be on the same level with, get beat by primes and choice briskets as well. Those guys are at the top of the standings because they know how to cook the briskets properly, have great flavor profiles, and they can execute great product over and over and over. They consistently put a great box of brisket on the judges table. That still doesn't mean that they always win nor does it mean wagyu is supreme. Now perhaps the wagyu gives them a slight edge and maybe they would say it does. I don't know.

Here's both teams results for the year.

http://bbqrace.com/team/203/scorebreakdown/

http://bbqrace.com/team/758/scorebreakdown/

Here's Jack's Old South who we know uses SRF from BPM:

http://bbqrace.com/team/326/scorebreakdown/

And here's Cool Smoke which used SRF on BPM:

http://bbqrace.com/team/26/scorebreakdown/

Brisket Leaders

1. BIG T'Z Q CRU 2690

and you know this how?

i KNOW what they like to use and will say this...these two guys can and will beat you with whatever piece of meat they bring to the contest. it's a talent and learned skill, not a cut of meat.

by my estimation, there are hundreds of wagyu packers cooked by competitors every week-end. that's alot of carcasses. where the heck is the rest of the meat going? i don't see it in stores and very rarely if ever see it restaurants, nor have i ever been to a dinner party/event where it was served. so, where is it all? anyway, just wondering.

maybe wrong forum, but i thought competitors might have the best grasp on this line of meat. mods sorry if you have to move.

Here are some restaurants that use Snake River farms. Some are just burgers others have the better cuts of meat.

Sweet water tavern Boston
111 chop house Worcester
Temple Bar Cambridge
Market by Jean Gorges Boston
Gibbet Hill Grill Groton
On the Marsh Bistro Kennebunk ME

Dude, I know this because Iowa is not all that big, and through BBQ Iowa cooks are all brothers. Brothers don't keep any secrets. It's no fluke that Iowa teams are having the success they are. We help each other straight up with no b.s.. Besides, I bought briskets from the same place they did and generally at the same time. More than once we did rock, paper, scissors for a piece of brisket
By no means am I attributing their sucess to a magic cut of meat. I am just saying that mathamatically I don't think its possible for prime to win every weekend and prime not be in first place in the KCBS standings.

and you know this how?

i KNOW what they like to use and will say this...these two guys can and will beat you with whatever piece of meat they bring to the contest. it's a talent and learned skill, not a cut of meat.

Back