Brisket

bam

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Do you separate your packer before cooking?

I wanted to make this a poll question don't know what happen. :crazy: Yes, no, sometimes, never.

I wanted to make this a poll question don't know what happen. :crazy: Yes, no, sometimes, never.

You can only make a poll if you are a paid member.

We cook whole then separate.

• Thanks
Reactions: bam
Usually not. We cook it all the way then seperate before turn in.

• Thanks
I separate before cooking. I have had good results so far. I only have a few comps under my belt, but have done a good bit of practice and I prefer to do it this way. It gives me the ability to control the doneness of the two pieces of meat individually.

I may be wrong, but I see them as two different cuts of meat that cook differently.

I trim but cook as one but have watched a few winning teams separate and cook individually as they feel the meats cook differently.

• Thanks
Have been cooking brisket separate lately putting the point on first.

To me a lot depends on your smoker configuration. If your meat is single level, I wouldn't separate. If you have a vertical smoker and can place meat at various levels, you might want to try it. When we do separate, we tend to place the flats in the middle and protect them with points and/or fat above and below.
It does allow for more targeted temperature control, but if not done correctly might dry the meat out a bit.
Long story short, there is no right way.. Good Q and championships are won both ways.

• Thanks
I don't. I believe flats cooked without the point are not as good as with the point. Although, I have been known to cook a flat jsut for the bark and make a sammich out of the bark.

• Thanks
Back