View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
AD18
Knows what a fatty is.

All in all the two racks were not really a whole lot different. I got what I was sort of expecting with a couple of suprises. The foiled rack was marginally moister and indeed had a slightly sweeter taste due to the brown sugar I presume. I was a little suprised when they came out of the foil how good the bark was. I was sort of expecting a duller sheen due to "steaming" of the apple juice. The non foiled ribs were still VERY good, but the meat was a little firmer and maybe a little less stringy so to speak. Both had nice external bark and coloration prior to saucing. I would have servered either style to friends or family without hesitation. I followed the 3-2-1 as a guideline because of earlier posts. I usually do my back ribs for about 4-5 hours tops at 230, but again in other posts a lot suggested 6. I guess I was testing more things than just foil vs non foil in hindsight. Looking back my only wish was I had two racks that were more closely matched in size, shape, and density to have a better test. I learned quite a bit and I'm glad I did it. Guess I'll just have to get another couple of racks and do some more "testing"

Last edited by AD18; 01-09-2012 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: typo
AD18 is offline   Reply With Quote