First pork butt need HELP!!!!

P

pens92

Hi everybody, I am cooking 2 6.5lbs pork shoulder butt with bone
I will be cooking indirect with a water pan at 225 or 250 on a ceramic primo XL the question I have how long will it take??? I plan on pulling with a internal temp of 195 to 200 any help would be great Thanks Don

I always figure 1 1/2-2 hours per pound of butt.
This also works for brisket.
I normally cook at 250 degrees.

so 12 hrs or 24 do you take the total weight being 13lbs which would be 226hrs or just 2 6.5lbs which would be 13hrs

It would be 9-12 hrs If you have the two butts at least an inch away from each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I was starting to panic will try to upload some pics later Thanks Don

Don, are you using the temps on the surface, or as measured by the outside thermometer? Honestly, if your surface temps are around 240-260, you should
be good at 8 hours. Lower surface temps; longer time.

I'll be using the stoker on its maiden cook I just calibrated it yesterday so temps should be accurate at least I'll be able to get some sleep tonight instead of checking on it every hour or so Thanks Don

First butt......sleep???? WOW times sure have changed since I cooked my first butt. Good Luck

I usually cook butts in the 5 to 8 pound range at around 250 F without foiling and it always takes at least 8 hours.

As has been said, 1 1/2 per pound is a good GUIDE.
Remember, though.....they're done when they're done. When the thermo goes in like BUTTAH, they're done. May be 3 or 4 hours longer than you plan on. May be 190 internal, may be at 210. Believe me, if you wait until it FEELS right, you'll not be disappointed!:thumb:

GOOD LUCK and POST PRON!!!!

Last edited:
Back