Am I The Only One That Does Not Like Bark?

LMAO!!!

I like women too therefore I like bark :lol:

Oh my god
Myron, look at Leann's butt
Its Like so so dark
It looks like one of those rap guys girlfriends

I can't believe it's so round
It's just out there
I mean, it's gross
Look, its just so... black

*rap*
I like barked butts and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
A hunk o meat gets walked with that dark crusty taste
Just a round thing in your face
You get sprung
Wanna pull out yo tongue
Cuz you notice that butt was stuffed
Deep in injection its wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
That meat I wanna get with ya
And take your picture
My homeboys tried to warn me
But that butt you got
Make Me so horney
Ooh, rump of barky skin
fans of my brethren friends
Well use me use me cuz you aint that average groupy

So Fellas (yeah) Fellas(yeah)
Has your meat got a barky butt (hell yeah)
Well shake it, shake it, shake it, shake it, shake that healthy butt
Baby got bark

My anaconda don't want none unless you've got bark, hun

I love bark, but have some here that don't so I shred it as fine as possible and mix it all together for added flavor! Works well

I love a nice piece of bark. But then again, I chew the fat like bubble gum.

Do you typically like jerky?

No, I don't like bark.
blank.gif

This is a surprising thread. I'm mostly surprised at how many people don't like bark. I think a properly done bark is one of the most important pieces of smoked meat.

Properly done, it is to die for. If it is dry, bitter (burned sugar and creosote) and tastes worse than an old roasted shoe, I'll pass!

This is a surprising thread. I'm mostly surprised at how many people don't like bark. I think a properly done bark is one of the most important pieces of smoked meat.

Surprised me too!
My bark is a bit crusty and soft and holds the flavours of the rub.
No bitter,burned taste....even my blackest porkneck turned out tasty and boy was that 1 black!!!

Psssst, Steve and Funk like women that bark, pass it on.......

bark

Great thread! I have had good bark and also bark that is not so good. Bitter bark bites!!!:evil:

Surprised me too!
My bark is a bit crusty and soft and holds the flavours of the rub.
No bitter,burned taste....even my blackest porkneck turned out tasty and boy was that 1 black!!!

Agreed, I like it the best in Pulled Pork, tho the least on a brisket, depending on the rub used.

Don't say you don't like bark until you have had brisket in Lockhart, Texas or, although I have never had the pleasure -- yet, cooked by Pitmaster Donny T., ThirdEye, or Bigmista.

There is probably a lot of comparison made between a deposit of creosote vs a crusty layer of salt. I see huge bark differences between my Lang and my Stumps cookers. Another variable is that I always use a foil pan in my Stumps so it is a relatively clean cooker. Also, the forced draft fan provides a much cleaner burn with a cleaner burning fuel source. Then it depends on cooking temps and rubs. The salt is a big attraction perhaps as much as the change to chewy texture. I'm just saying everything is relative.

Bark is the chit. I eat most of it myself as I pull or slice the meat. Had my mom and dad helping me pull 6 butts one time and everytime I looked over, Mom was saving all the bark on the side. I said why you separating that stuff? That's the best stuff. "I know, that's why I'm saving it for me!" I'm not arguing with Mom.

Don't say you don't like bark until you have had brisket in Lockhart, Texas or, although I have never had the pleasure -- yet, cooked by Pitmaster Donny T., ThirdEye, or Bigmista.

Yep.. I've not yet (hopefully soon) had the pleasure yet of eating BBQ at the Texas meccas but it's what I envision when I think of great BBQ and bark...

Check out the bark from Black's Barbecue in Lockhart. The whole clip is great but check out the 1:24 mark as an example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHLpsvUdhfo

Yep.. I've not yet (hopefully soon) had the pleasure yet of eating BBQ at the Texas meccas but it's what I envision when I think of great BBQ and bark...

Check out the bark from Black's Barbecue in Lockhart. The whole clip is great but check out the 1:24 mark as an example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHLpsvUdhfo

Been there. My uncle lived in Lockhart. Great BBQ in that area. Oh yeah, bark is great!

To bark or not to bark ....

A number of observations. First off in your post you talk about cooking a butt for 15 hours I assume in an offset or some such pit. Foiling with liquid will help but it's really the lack of moisture in a pit. When I do a couple of butts at a contest in my FE I need to foil or it gets pretty hard. I cook about 12-14 hours. When I cook 16 butts in the pit I don't need to foil. All that moisture in the meat keeps the cooking chamber moist and gives me a quality product for vending. 10-12 hours at 250. It works about the same for brisket.

Now I think the on pork butt the bark is where 90% of the flavor is so I try hard when hand chunking/shredding to mix in the bark so when I do take tongs and put on a bun every customer will get some bark for flavor.

I think bark on brisket flat is over rated. To crunchy is not good IMHO. If doing burnt ends from point then it needs some crunch to offset the tender fatty texture of point.

I like the bark, but my wife and most of my family doesn't.

Back