Rib Foiling Technique

scoobyQ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Being new to competition, I followed some advice on this forum and foiled my spares after 3 hours in a WSM in apple juice. After 2 hours in the foil, these things were pretty mushy and never really firmed up after being taken out of the foil. I assume these were in the foil too long. When you foil the ribs, do you put the ribs in the foil meat side or bone side down. Also, how much liquid do you put in the foil? I think I put about a cup/per rack. Any advice would be appreciated.

Too much liquid. Maybe do some surfing here on using butter and brown sugar instead.

I'd use a splash (1-2 oz max) Each rack in it's own foil. 2 hours is just right and they should still be "firm" at least for nearly falling off the bone.

The tenderness of the meat is determined not only by the amount of time on the grill, but your average and median temperatures during the cook. I think most people around here would tell you that the 3-1-1 method at 225-250 is better for comp ribs than the 3-2-1 method.

We go bone side up when foiling and foil for an hour. A cup per sounds fine, I just think you don't want the rack completely submerged, but at the same time it probably doesn't make a big difference. Although if you are cooking so hot that liquid begins to boil, that will overcook them as well. We don't really use liquid per se, but do what Ford suggested above.

I usually go bone side up with Parkay (from the squeeze bottle), brown sugar & some other stuff for an hour, then back in the smoke bone side down for 45 to 60 minutes, or until they're bending good. But then again, I don't compete :rolleyes:.

Foil with the flavors of what you think your finishing sauce should be. The above reference are good ones. I use other flavoring along with butter. I also add BBQ sauce to my foil and juices. I only foil for tops one hour at 250.

Foil bone side up ( you need less liquid for the meat to set in) I use a 12 can and divide it evenly between three racks. One hour tops at 250.

Get a spray bottle, give them a good spray, and be done with it. Add anything else you might like (brown sugar, blue bottle, etc.) but they'll baste themselves. Don't even ask how many times I've poured hot rib grease on my toes at competitions. Stupid flip flops.....

I go 3-1.5-.5 at 250F

The foil time varies alot from rack to rack. After 1.25 hour in foil, I'll pull out each rack and check for tenderness. If it needs more time, I'll check again in 15 minutes and so on until they're done.

The last 30 minutes is to firm up the meat and give the finish sauce a nice tacky finish.

Back