anybody ever cook a whole chicken for a comp?

early mornin' smokin'

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So ive been tossing around the idea of cooking a whole small chicken for a comp. KCBS to be more specific. Figured it would give the judges more to pick from. I can easily divide a chicken into 6 or 8 identifiable pieces, and still make it look like a whole bird in the box.

I have tried to Spatch cook a few whole birds, without a lot of success... I think that biggest issue is; the breast and thigh will not be done at the same time if left whole. Try it at home first and let us know how it turns out...

I have done whole chickens at the last two competitions and seem to do just about as good with them whole as I do with just thighs.

What if you have three judges that love legs? One of them is going to be pissed and subliminally scores you down (Tastes OK but not as good as a leg would have).

That said, its an interesting thought for contests that require both white and dark meat.

SIDE, if you are the only one putting meat that isn't a chicken thigh in a box then you won't win...judges are so used to seeing thighs I think you would be putting yourself at a disadvantage...just like if you decided not to garnish the box...it's not MANDATORY to do it...but would you not garnish a box???

Now, if you get to the JACK someday...then you'll be in luck with the different chicken parts!

I cooked a whole chicken at the Royal about 5 yrs ago. It turned out really good but didn't score well at all.

We have cooked whole ones, both beer can and spatchcock (when brined either seems to produce a moist and tasty chicken) and turning in the breast primarily.

We are beginning to see a slight improvement as we add more flavor to the brine mix, but still pretty low down in the pack, as evidenced by our 1449 rank in chicken on the pickled pig's site.

I think we will start to mix white and dark. I think the judges are beginning to change what they want, and might be getting bored with all thighs. Then again I could just be continuing to bang my head against a rock!:icon_blush:

It's always very moist, even an hour or more past turn in (kept hot in a carlisle) I think the flavor is the challenge. Especially since it's the first category the judges taste.

Good thing we do this for fun and not money!:p

SIDE, if you are the only one putting meat that isn't a chicken thigh in a box then you won't win...judges are so used to seeing thighs I think you would be putting yourself at a disadvantage...just like if you decided not to garnish the box...it's not MANDATORY to do it...but would you not garnish a box???

Now, if you get to the JACK someday...then you'll be in luck with the different chicken parts!

My understanding is that there is at least one guy out there, that does win and isn't turning in thighs. I wouldn't say that it can't be done. I would say that it's more difficult.

I have a great spit-roasted chicken recipe, rubbed with Moroccan spices. It is absolutely delicious. But...in my first KCBS comp--putting thighs, legs, wings, and breasts in the turn in box--it scored 30th out of 47. Average appearance, taste, and texture were, respectively 7.7, 6.8, and 7.2.

Keep in my that the confounding factor here is that it was my first competition. But my wife said, and I think I agree, that it wasn't "BBQed enough".

I've judged a few competitions since my first outting, and I heard a lot of judges say that they were sick of chicken thighs. Nonetheless, I've practiced chicken thighs exclusively this year. We'll see how they do this weekend.

--frank in Wilson, NY

My understanding is that there is at least one guy out there, that does win and isn't turning in thighs. I wouldn't say that it can't be done. I would say that it's more difficult.

Almost right--there are several of the "high rollers" that use things other than thighs.
One guy who has been fairly successful cooks full chickens. Not sure what peices and parts he turns in, but I have seen the full ones cooked several times and he does walk regular.

But, I think it takes some skill and a bit of luck to pull a cut up full chicken entry to the top--JMHO

I am still trying to get the judges to like my smoked livers and gizzards. :oops:

TIM

i thought cornish hens werent allowed?

From the rules:

10) The Four KCBS Meat Categories:
CHICKEN: Chicken includes Cornish Game Hen and
Kosher Chicken.

PORK RIBS: Ribs shall include the bone. Country style
ribs are prohibited.
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or
Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds.
Pork shall be cooked (bone in or bone out) and shall not be
parted.
BEEF BRISKET: May be whole brisket, flat, or point.
Corned beef is not allowed.
John

I gotta try me some of these lollipops sometime. They sound delicious!

Don't get me wrong, Jorge...I don't think it's impossible...but it's more difficult! :) I have always been under the thought that it would showcase a better overall skill if you had to cook a whole bird and turn in pieces from it...of course, then the argument about what judges get what pieces ensues...but to cook a whole chicken means you need to watch temps more closely...which I tend to relate to skill...maybe its just me.

IBCA requires half a chicken, unparted. Most of the cooks go for the breast temp and forget about the thighs. One comp I judged for IBCA, of the 16 entries at my table, 5 were DQed for having raw thighs.

I personally prefer the dark meat because it is more moist and has a better flavor. The breast tends to be almost bland and difficult to get the flavor deep into the muscle.

Mack
Cook and CBJ

Back