Help on Small Catering

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Would appreciate the Brethren advice for a benefit for a co-worker cancer victim. The company asked me to cook Butt and Brisket for about 100 people for a lunch gathering from 11:30 to 1:30. I was thinking about a pound of raw meat per person and cooking the day before. Would really appreciate some advise from the experienced Brethren about warming, quantities, moisture thoughts. Thanks for any help as this is for a wonderful lady with a big problem. Just want it to be great for her.

OK, here's what I did for pulled pork sammies...fed 125....cooked 100-110 pounds raw butts, pulled and vaccum sealed then into fridge to keep cool then freeze. If next day, then just cooling to fridge should be ok. Day of service....put in half pans with cherry juice and set in oven, covered to internal temp of 170. Then removed and placed in large coolers, covered with towels to hold temp. transported and served about 5-6 oz sammies using a cookie scoop. served beans and slaw as sides. real brownies for dessert. Turned out great!!!

Addendum: I brought the meats to 40 before going into fridge. As to safe in fridge...I am implying that I would not put into the freezer if serving the next day. Holding the meat under 40 for a day in the fridge should be adequate. sorry for the confusion. S

Last edited:
Hope thats raw weight (100 pounds of each meat). This still may be more than enough. 200 lbs. of butts and brisket will be approximately 110 - 130 cooked depending on methods, cookers etc.

If you are not profitting then have at it on the weight, so you get some leftovers for later:wink:

You can wrap your butts at 160 with foil then cook till 200 internal save some of the juice and add it to your pulled meat it will help keep the meat moist while reheating.It works with the brisket also don't cut the brisket till ready to serve they dry out fast.

OK, here's what I did for pulled pork sammies...fed 125....cooked 100-110 pounds raw butts, pulled and vaccum sealed then into fridge to cool then freeze. If next day, then just cooling to fridge should be ok.

"Should be ok" is a big phrase when you are talking about food born illness.

It's not hard to do it right, and your process is not really safe. If he does not know how to do it right, he has no business taking on the job.

I don't mean to be harsh, but BBQ is no reason to lose a guy's house.

"Should be ok" is a big phrase when you are talking about food born illness.

It's not hard to do it right, and your process is not really safe. If he does not know how to do it right, he has no business taking on the job.

I don't mean to be harsh, but BBQ is no reason to lose a guy's house.

Jeff, you're right that people should always be careful when serving the public. Can you explain a little about how you think it should be done so the original poster has a better idea of what's involved and whether they can do it. That seems like it might be helpful, too....:-D

A few questions for you Meat Burner-- do you have the space to safely cool and store all of that meat? That's always a possible problem with home fridges. I think you might want to bag the pulled meat in ziplocks and put the bags in an ice and water bath before you pop it all in the fridge. The next day, the meat will have to be heated to 165. Do you have access to chafers? Otherwise, holding the meat in pans on a low grill or in one of your pits may be a good idea.....

If you cook it and pull it the day before, you can pack it into Ziplocs thinly. Then put onto ice/water mix and chill each bag down quickly, you can then pan it afterwards to go in the fridge over night, the point being to limit the time between, 140 F and 40 F , and cool it down as quickly as possible.

3 servings to a lb is 5.33 Oz per serving 102 servings = 34 lbs at 50% yield you'll need 68 lbs uncooked for exactly 102 servings.

Add back to the pans of meat the juice from the foiling and a cup of apple juice and lid the pans with foil, refrigerate over night, warm with the foil lids on the pans, in either the oven or your pit get the temperature up to 225 F and put the pans in, warm to over 165 F and give them at least 45 minutes with the lids on before checking them, take off the lids, check the temperature and toss the meat in the juice a little to help coat the meat with the juice.

It is definitely something to consider in handling a large quantity of meat after cooking and serving at a later time. I certainly wouldn't take it lightly. But it is something to consider to be safe. Scott

OK, I went out to get some details....

Cooling Methods
Fact Sheet​
The Food Code requires that all cooked foods not prepared for immediate service shall be cooled
as quickly as possible to eliminate the possibility of bacteria development. There are two
methods to cool potentially hazardous foods: the two-stage method (preferred) and the one-stage
method.​
·​
The two-stage method reduces the cooked food’s internal temperature in two steps. The
first step is to reduce the temperature from 140ºF to 70ºF within two of preparation
and

from 70ºF to 41ºF or colder within an additional four-hour period. Total cooling time
should never exceed six hours.​
·​
The one-stage method is designed to reduce the cooked food’s internal temperature from
140ºF to 41ºF or colder within four hours of preparation. This method should only be
used if the food is prepared from ingredients at ambient temperature, such as
reconstituted foods and canned tuna.
When deciding how best to cool potentially hazardous foods, keep in mind the following factors:

·​
The size or amount of food being cooled;

·​
The density of the food – a broth is less dense than a casserole; and

·​
The container in which the food is being stored – shallow pans cool foods faster than
deep pans.
In order to facilitate the rapid cooling of cooked foods, the following methods are recommended
by the Food Code:

·​
Placing the food to be cooled in shallow pans;

·​
Separating the food to be cooled in smaller or thinner portions;

·​
Using rapid cooling equipment, such as ‘blast chillers’;

·​
Stirring the food to be cooled in a container placed in an ice bath;

·​
Using containers that facilitate the transfer of heat;

·​
Adding ice as an ingredient to the cooked food; or

·​
A combination of the above methods.
The most important thing to remember about cooling foods is that the temperature of all cooked
foods should be reduced to 41ºF or colder as quickly as possible. The cooling time, however,
should never exceed the maximum time allowed for the selected method (either four hours for the
one-stage method or six hours for the two-stage method). Simply placing a cooked food item in a
refrigerator to cool may not be sufficient to reduce the threat of bacterial growth. In addition, a
warm or hot food item placed into a refrigerator may actually raise the temperature inside the unit
and jeopardize the safety of other stored foods. Once the food item has been properly cooled, it
should be stored properly – covered and labeled with the date the product was prepared. When
preparing foods using cooked ingredients, always use the older products first.

For more information about operating a food establishment,​
contact your local health department.

and from the virtual bullet site...

[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Holding Cooked Meat At Serving Temperature[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]It's 11:30am. You've just finished cooking a brisket overnight, but your guests won't be arriving until 2:00pm. The oven is off-limits because it will be used to cook other food. What will you do?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]According to the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), meat must be held above 140° in order to be safe. You can hold cooked meat above this temperature for 2-4 hours or longer by using an ice chest. Just follow these steps:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Insert a Polder probe thermometer into the meat so the internal temperature can be monitored from outside the ice chest.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Wrap the meat tightly in wide, heavy-duty aluminum foil.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Place a thick layer of dry towels or crumpled newspaper in the bottom of the ice chest as insulation between the meat and the interior. Ice chests have been known to crack during contact with a hot brisket or pork butt.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Place the meat into the ice chest.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Cover with additional towels or newspaper for insulation (optional).[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Close the lid and monitor the meat temp to ensure it stays over 140°F.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]To keep meat warm even longer, preheat the ice chest first. Here are several ideas on how to do this:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Pour a gallon of hot tap water into the ice chest. Close the lid and slosh the water around. Allow the water to heat the interior for several minutes, then discard the water and dry thoroughly.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Wrap several fireplace bricks in heavy duty aluminum foil. Heat in a 500°F oven for 30 minutes. Place a thick layer of dry towels in the bottom of the ice chest, then add the hot bricks, then a thin layer of moist towels. This method was described by Alton Brown on an episode of "Good Eats."[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Place an electric heating pad inside the ice chest. This method was described by Big Al in a post on The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Turn the ice chest upside down over a heater vent. This method was described by Keri C. in a post on The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]The length of time you can hold meat above 140°F depends on:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Whether the ice chest is preheated or not.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]The volume of meat and how hot it is going into the ice chest.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Whether insulation is placed on top of the meat or not.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]The efficiency of the ice chest.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]How often the ice chest is opened.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]As noted in the Brisket - Midnight Cook topic, I held a brisket above 140°F for 3 hours and 15 minutes using this method--but without preheating the ice chest or placing additional insulation over the meat.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Does Barbecue Stand Up To Storage And Reheating?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Some foods just seem to taste better after being refrigerated and reheated, while other foods don't. Whether barbecue belongs in the former or latter category is a matter of personal opinion and probably varies from meat to meat.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Here's my take on the "big four" barbecue meats:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Brisket tastes great as leftovers, but the "bark" gets soft during storage and reheating, so enjoy the bark when the meat is freshly cooked. Brisket refrigerates and freezes well, but you have to take care to not dry it out during reheating.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Pork butt performs much like brisket. It tastes great as leftovers and it refrigerates, freezes, and reheats very well. "Mr. Brown" (the chewy exterior meat) will soften during storage and reheating. The fat content of pork butt helps keep it moist during reheating. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Pork ribs are best enjoyed right out of the smoker. I refrigerate and reheat ribs, but never enjoy them as much as the first time around. I don't freeze ribs, but some people do and say they reheat just fine.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Chicken is another meat that's best fresh from the smoker. The meat itself sometimes tastes better after refrigerating and reheating, but the skin softens up and really suffers. As with ribs, I don't freeze chicken, but some people do and say it freezes and reheats quite well.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]The bottom line is that most barbecued meats can be refrigerated, frozen, and reheated with success.[/FONT]

One thing I don't see is that I believe in reheating, bringing the temp of the food to 165 degree's for 16 seconds will kill most food borne organisms that cause problems. I brought mine to 165-70 and then into pre heated coolers and was able to maintain a temp in the 150's for a couple of hours easily until served. Scott

Thanks for all the help here. Fortunately, I do have plenty of room to cool the meat quick, vacumn seal, and refrig space. My work has several chafers I will use for serving but will keep them on the smokers for reheating and then bring in as needed. I certainly will be careful and do appreciate your comments and sharing suggestions.

Instead of using ice to cool down, would it be acceptable to set in a freezer to cool down rapidly?

Instead of using ice to cool down, would it be acceptable to set in a freezer to cool down rapidly?

I wouldn't try that with a residential model. It could work, in theory, but it could also put too much demand on the compressor and may not efficiently cool the meat, which means that at the core it could be at the danger zone too long while the outside is getting frozen. In restaurants they have blast chillers for this purpose, but they're much more powerful than a home freezer. The ice bath helps cool the meat to a low enough temp that the fridge or the freezer doesn't have to work overtime.

Also, putting something piping hot in the fridge (not the freezer, neccesarily) can put other items near by it at risk of being compromised by raising their temps....

I wouldn't try that with a residential model. It could work, in theory, but it could also put too much demand on the compressor and may not efficiently cool the meat, which means that at the core it could be at the danger zone too long while the outside is getting frozen. In restaurants they have blast chillers for this purpose, but they're much more powerful than a home freezer. The ice bath helps cool the meat to a low enough temp that the fridge or the freezer doesn't have to work overtime.

Also, putting something piping hot in the fridge (not the freezer, neccesarily) can put other items near by it at risk of being compromised by raising their temps....

Would you say this goes for a dedicated deep chest style freezer as well?

I'm about to be cooking and vac sealing around 150-200lbs of boston butts is why I ask. I am debating how to cool and then freeze.

Option one: once vac sealed enter into a 120qt cooler in a ice/water bath and then to the deep freeze.
or
Option two: once vac sealed take it straight to the deep freeze.

What are your thoughts on an empty chest freezer's ability to bring meat at say 140-160 down to 40 in an acceptable time?

Honestly, I'm not sure about that, since I haven't tried it, but my gut says to cool them down rapidly and then put into the freezer just to be on the safe side. That's just a lot of hot mass to be trying to chill at one time. Why take a chance on ruining your hard work?

Honestly, I'm not sure about that, since I haven't tried it, but my gut says to cool them down rapidly and then put into the freezer just to be on the safe side. That's just a lot of hot mass to be trying to chill at one time. Why take a chance on ruining your hard work?

Ya, thats kinda what I was thinking. This is a catering job, no need to take chances.

I agree into cooler with ice/icewater. You'll be more active in the cooling process and probably have more success. Scott

Thanks again everyone. Will be coolering in water and ice to get temps down as quick as possible. I have enough refrig space and it is cool enough to keep the temps below 40. Doing some canadian bacon right now and have been playing with temps. One question...I will be cooking the brisket on the UDS and have always done one packer at a time. Was thinking about doing two 8 lb flats and 1..or 2 8 lb butts on each UDS. Would you do the briskets the same as the packer? Also, would an 8 lb butt be about the same cook time as the brisket. I know others factors like internal temp and tenderness are the main things, just trying to estimate how much longer cook to allow for. Thanks for any thoughts!!!!

Back