Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Just so you know, Michigan is spelled wrong in your description, on the web page.

Just so you know, Michigan is spelled wrong in your description, on the web page.

Hmm, are you referring to the term "Michiana"? If so, since we're right on the border of Indiana, people call this region Michiana. It's kind of lame, but I've had to adapt over the years. :(

Real glad to hear all's going so well.

Will the Brethren be notified of the soft opening?
I'm seriously waiting to try out you Q :hungry:

Will the Brethren be notified of the soft opening?

Most likely. Just need to settle on some dates.

Maybe I missed it, but what are you doing for flavors?

This is que talk baby and you know how we are.

As for the flavor profile, I use oak and apple wood. Brisket gets treated with salt and pepper, while pork gets a good dose of rub that's a touch sweet with brown sugar. And then I have three sauces. A sort of Kansas City style tomato-based sauce that's just a little sweet, a spicy tomato based sauce, and a Carolina style vinegar sauce. Meat is all served dry so that people can choose their sauce, or none at all.

Yep, around here you can't find BBQ that isn't absolutely swimming in sauce. It's ridiculous. You order a pulled pork sandwich and it's more like a sloppy joe. Disgusting.

It's funny because back when I started cooking BBQ and didn't put sauce on stuff my family thought I was nuts because they had never seen naked bbq before. Now most of them don't even use sauce.

For the most part I agree with The Smoking Pig, but sometimes a bit of sauce is nice to add. Not drown in it but...............

That would be great as I'd really like to be there on the opening of a brothers BBQ joint.
Really lookin forward to meeting you and havin some fine arse Q :thumb:

See, I jinxed myself last night. Health inspector called and wanted to make sure the mechanical inspector approved the smoker installation. Mechanical inspector called and said he doesn't have a mechanical permit on file. Township called and confirmed they don't have one either. Talked to the contractor and he said it should be covered under the building permit. The township disagrees.

So now everyone is playing the blame game and trying to figure out WTF is going on.

It never fails.

Cut through, this is the same advice I told my friend out here who is opening a coffeeshop. Everyone is great with opinions and advice. Everyone likes to say who should do what. On any construction project, there is only one person that is going to make it happen, that is the guy with the check book and his ass on the line.

Tell the contractor that there needs to be a mechanical permit, and that you will pull it today, if he doesn't. Period. Payments will be adjusted.

I was just recalling, how for one precious 4 year period, I had a staff of people, 5 people, that I could trust, completely, to do what I needed. The single best staff ever. The other 24 years, was a different story. And these were all college educated professionals. Kitchen folks, well....

Love your thread, I am cheering for you..hopefully when your website is up I can purchase some t-shirts to wear out here in California?
Best of luck to you!!

Tell the contractor that there needs to be a mechanical permit, and that you will pull it today, if he doesn't. Period. Payments will be adjusted.

Thankfully I have the upper hand in this since I've only paid him 25% so far and he is getting anxious to get paid. So it's easy enough to just tell him I'm not paying until he gets it straightened out.

In the meantime, I just made some lunch. :mrgreen:

1463576_521157027979727_1005290788_n.jpg

How much for a plate of THOSE? With delivery? :becky:

Back