• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Thanks for bringing us along on your adventure. This is going to be great when it finally gets wheels under it.

Looking forward to having you up & running and us filling up a table for your good stuff.

Keep positive!

Just saw this -- and that is a bazillion pages long, so didn't read it all...
We're doing something similar (but, carry-out only), and everything costs 10 times what you think (not twice!)...

Sounds like you've got a good plan!

If ya run into any "Hmmm... Wonder what other people do regarding XYZ?"...
PM and I'll be glad to share any insight I can.
Best of luck to ya!

Good luck, sounds like an interesting venture with a lot of work and hopefully some exciting times to come in the future!

So, another quick update. What a roller coaster this process has been. If anything, I have learned a great deal about having patience.

Builders started work a few weeks ago and it was looking promising. Then, another setback and they had to stop work for a little over a week. But got some good news and now the whole crew is on site until the job is completed and things are finally moving, so I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

We've got the new wall up separating the dining room from the kitchen and the order and pick-up windows are cut out and prepped. The flooring and trim was finished last night, and the drop ceiling in the back kitchen is underway today. Hopefully I'll have an update on what day the smoker will get installed next week, fingers crossed.

A couple pics of the progress:

1382139_496873300408100_2131783165_n.jpg

1383165_496873287074768_1749690752_n.jpg

1390682_503434153085348_177964890_n.jpg

733886_503434133085350_1259784600_n.jpg

Isn't it amazing how long these things can take? I always find it incredible anyone ever wants to open a restaurant.

That was my thought after I sold my biz and retired. It's still in my head to do it, but
my sixth sense says no. I would do exactly like your doing "buying instead of leasing"
I'm just not that good with food, such as you are.

Best to ya in your venture.
Head strong, means finish strong, you'll make it.

Thanks so much for this thread. With so much bs reality shows on the air it's great to share your real time experience. Good luck to you and thanks again for posting.

Glad to see things are moving along for you.
Can't wait for the opening.

I've been following your thread with Great interest. Just a couple of ideas for business.

I'm not familiar with the geographic lay out but since your so close to ND, Would a billboard on the main road help? Heck, Billboards may not even be allowed up your way but being 2 miles from the main road that would be a small diversion for TG Parties and Fans.

We have a really good BBQ place here that delivers just like the Pizza chains. They are the only ones in town that do. Might be a good idea for the locals and work sites there especially when the weather gets bad.

Best of Skill in your venture! You have a great business plan.

I've been following your thread with Great interest. Just a couple of ideas for business.

I'm not familiar with the geographic lay out but since your so close to ND, Would a billboard on the main road help? Heck, Billboards may not even be allowed up your way but being 2 miles from the main road that would be a small diversion for TG Parties and Fans.

We have a really good BBQ place here that delivers just like the Pizza chains. They are the only ones in town that do. Might be a good idea for the locals and work sites there especially when the weather gets bad.

Best of Skill in your venture! You have a great business plan.

Ya know, thats a good idea. Being new to the area, I check out all advertising, bill boards, tee shirts, signs on trucks, etc, etc. Thats the only way I know who to call and then I ask the few people I do know, If they ever heard of them.

Speaking of advertising, we did a little odd advertising today even though we're not open yet. There was a local pumpkin race, so obviously, my daughter and I made a pig pumpkin and slapped the logo on it and the family wore the shirts. We actually ended up winning for the cutest pumpkin and had a lot of people and even the newspaper asking about the restaurant, so it was worth it. Still bummed that my engineering skills didn't pan out and we didn't win the race though.

10393713026_b197c88e1d_o.jpg

With that little girl, her big trophy, that smile, none of the rest matters.

That is a great pumpkin BTW.

I look at that picture and think "Oh, you won all right. And where it matters most!"

Back