How do you split your wood?

Peter B

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am still fairly new to my offset cooker and I have tried different tools/methods for creating small splits for my firebox. However, I don't recall seeing a thread on this and I am curious what approach other people are using to split their wood.

Currently, I use a splitting maul to split my rounds into wedges. Then I use a large knife and a baton ( a large stick ) to baton out small splits from the wedges.

The Batonning method is a bit of work and I was wondering if there is an easier method to cut out 1" - 2" splits from the wedges.

With leverage.

froe-panel_zps6d33c1a6.jpg

With a Mexican Wood Splitter... Man-u-el. Axe, Wedge & sledge and a Maul and some old tires of the 64 Cheby.:becky:

I use a splitting maul to split large pieces. I then use a hatchet and a small sledge-hammer to split into smaller pieces.

28 ton gas powered hydraulic splitter to get it small enough to use a maul. I use a maul when 1 solid whack will do the trick. I own the splitter because I and my 73 YO Dad heat our homes with wood. You can rent one for a weekends use and be done splitting wood for a long time when you are only feeding your smoker.

to cut the splits down to smoker size, I just use a plain old axe.

simple enough.

a knife is for steaks

a baton is for cheerleaders.

I either use the splitter if we're splitting fire wood that day or a small axe

splits

use spliter i heat my house whith wood got spliter after spliting all day laying in bed that night had chest pains thought omg i`am halveing the big one then it hit me spliting whith mall bought spliter i split to fist sized if i need smaller i use mall

Blood, sweat, and tears, and when that gives out I go next door and borrow the neighbors wood-splitter.

Back