Need me advice please

bacowboy

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Short story my daughter is getting married in November and I have agreed to provide the meat for the reception. There will be approx 80 people and I plan to do Butts and Chucks. I would have loved to do brisket but due to limited time and cooking space I decided pulled beef was the best. My question is for those that cater how many pounds of each would you recommend?

Sorry that should have said need some advice.

Last edited:
I figure 1/3 pound per guest providing ample sides are served. Some will have only beef, some will have only pork, some will want both beef and pork.

I would do 35 pound of fresh pork butts (50 sandwiches) and 35 Pounds of fresh chuck roast (50 sandwiches).

It never hurts to go higher and have leftovers, lunch the next day an then vac-seal and freeze the rest for a quick meal (or several) when there is no time when guests arrive.

I figure 1/3 pound per guest providing ample sides are served. Some will have only beef, some will have only pork, some will want both beef and pork.

I would do 35 pound of fresh pork butts (50 sandwiches) and 35 Pounds of fresh chuck roast (50 sandwiches).

It never hurts to go higher and have leftovers, lunch the next day an then vac-seal and freeze the rest for a quick meal (or several) when there is no time when guests arrive.

Thanks that helps

The only issue I have with IamMadMan's advice is that you won't have enough of either meat for all guests, and if they decide that the beef is better than the pork and all want it, you will be disappointing 30 people.

If it were me, I would plan on 80 servings of each, but if you are worries about costs you could probably get by with 1/4 lb servings since there are two meats.

So, with 1/3 lb servings you would need 27 lbs of cooked meat. If you use 50% yield, that would mean starting out with 54 lbs of raw meat. 50% yield is pretty close for bone in butts but in probably low for chucks, but it is a good starting point.

For 1/4 lb servings you would need 40 lbs of raw meat.

The only issue I have with IamMadMan's advice is that you won't have enough of either meat for all guests, and if they decide that the beef is better than the pork and all want it, you will be disappointing 30 people.

If it were me, I would plan on 80 servings of each, but if you are worries about costs you could probably get by with 1/4 lb servings since there are two meats.

So, with 1/3 lb servings you would need 27 lbs of cooked meat. If you use 50% yield, that would mean starting out with 54 lbs of raw meat. 50% yield is pretty close for bone in butts but in probably low for chucks, but it is a good starting point.

For 1/4 lb servings you would need 40 lbs of raw meat.

I'm not as concerned about price as I am about time and cooking space. I have an Akorn, 18.5 WSM and a performer that I'm comfortable with. I also have an el cheapo hasty bake knockoff that I have a very hard time controlling the temp. Think I may go buy a 22.5 WSM.

Back