ornamental cherry wood

jimbonelson

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has anybody every smoked with it, I understand it bears no fruit but I have received different responses from different people, I threw some in my smoker the other night after my cook and it gave off a sweet smell.

try it with some meat.. if i remember right i have smoked with it before and was pleased with the results.. try it on something cheap.. lol Chicken For The Win!

try it with some meat... lol Chicken For The Win!
I'll see your chicken and raise you some beef, salmon, pork and maybe a sliced up spud.

I highly agree to test the wood with some meat. I suggest mixing it up with several meats to see what works best. (I specifically mention salmon because IMO salmon and cherry go together like a horse and carriage.) But throw a couple burger patties on with some pork steaks or 'country ribs' and anything else you like to BBQ. You might even do this with woods you are more familiar with such as hickory, maple, apple and so on. It is instructive to see what flavor the wood gives to various foods.

As far as cherry goes, I find it interesting that the cherry flavor actually comes through in the smoke!

I have used it before and I have a pork butt on now and I am using it. I like it, it has a nice sweet task. Really good used with ribs.

I have used ornamental cherry many times as my friend is a landscaper, it is fine. I see no difference with smoking with Fruit Cherry, Wild Cherry, or Ornamental Cherry... It all tastes great when seasoned (dry).

Any wood is good for smoking as long as it's cherry..... (Saw somewhere here in another post).

Last edited:
Not to hijack but have the same question with ornamantal crab apple....also a landscaper and rip them out a lot

Not to hijack but have the same question with ornamantal crab apple....also a landscaper and rip them out a lot

The ornamental crab apple / thorn apple is safe to use just as apple is. I too, use these when they are given to me. I even use the branches 1" or greater in diameter. Just make sure they are seasoned (dry).

Nothing beats free fruit woods even if they are just ornamentals.

Back