new pulled pork method

pal251

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone tried making pulled pork by cutting a butt into 3 or 4 chunks so there is a greater surface area

Pitmaster T did a video about this awhile back. I don't remember the outcome but I know he cut the butt into smaller chunks to get more bark. It seems like it'd be a good idea.

I've cut mine in half before, for reasons mentioned. Cut down on cooking time and who can complain about more bark!? :twisted:

The most I would cut it would be in half. And that would be only if it is a full butt. As xbullyx put it it could come out drier than you want.

I suggested this once at another site and got accused of being lazy...but that aside I would think with the fat content of a butt you wouldn't have to worry about dryness. However like others have said I don't think I'd go anymore than half unless it was huge or you really really like bark.

I normally only buy/smoke 1/2 butts and they turn out just fine because I'm not cooking for an army. Just need to pay attention to your cook time.

I was wondering about cutting the bigger butts in half because the only ones I can find at Costco and Safeway out here are like 17 pounders and huge!! I can't find an 8 or 9 pounder.

Are they 17 lb butt, or 2 8-9 lbs? I know all the costcos I've bought from they sell them as 2 packs in the cryo.

Ya' know? I have a 10lb picnic that I'll be cooking for the fourth and after reading this thread I think I'll half it! The bark gives sooo much flavor and texture after being pulled and mixed in with the meat, so the more bark the better IMO!:thumb:

I cut the last 10lber I had in half. It made for less cooking time, that's for sure. Didn't turn out dry, and more bark was a plus.

I was wondering about cutting the bigger butts in half because the only ones I can find at Costco and Safeway out here are like 17 pounders and huge!! I can't find an 8 or 9 pounder.

Double check, but for the most part pork butts sold at Sam's and Costco are double packed butts. Each one will be about 8-9 lbs. unless you're getting both a butt and picnic in a package, but I've never seen that at the big stores.

To get more bark but not drier butt, how about cut into half or quarter near the end of the cook, like after you've foiled and return to the cooker to finish? Never tried this but will give this a go next time.

Back