Cutting Wood

letdasmokeroll

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have 3 Apple trees in my yard that im gonna cut down ....they shall be used in my smoker lol ...I was just wondering if anyone cuts their own wood and when would be a good time to cut it and should i let it sit for a period of time before use

Whenever you have time is the time to cut it. Yes, I would split it and let it season a couple-three months at least before using it. Some people use green apple wood, though.

Cut it when you have the free time... you don't have to wait until the fall or anything like that.. Apple wood should be burnable ass soon as you cut it.. but letting it season wont hurt either.. Either way it will contribute to good eats!

Myron Mixon uses freshly cut peach wood because of it's sap content. Green apple wood would work great as a smoking agent and not so much as a fuel source, so you would use a lot less than seasoned wood for a cook.

Lots of us cut wood. I don't buy wood.
Cut them when it's convenient.
Dry them several months before using.

Apple and Pear have a nice mild flavor.

Whatever you do don't rush the job! I watched this clip and couldn't help thinking "one of these days!":clap2: (Don't worry it is SFW)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37gH9SObKVA"]"Worlds fastest firewood splitter" MAN - YouTube[/ame]

Back