pulled pork test failed - it was delicious

Brauma

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I did a test on a new pork recipe this past wknd. It bombed. The best part about our hobby is that we can eat our mistakes, and they're still better than most store-bought BBQ!

One of my earliest memories from this site was a tagline from a guy named Troutman: "The worst BBQ I can make will be the best you've ever tasted". And that is so true.

My advise to any newbie reading this is to experiment experiment experiment. Take notes. Make a BBQ log or journal. Note times, temps, formulas, sweet to hot ratios, wood used, water pan, no water pan... It will pay off. And, you wont be wasting any money on meat. We can eat our mistakes!!

The A-B test I did was for comp practice. The pulled pork I was shooting for snapped back from being pulled back to sliced status and it was VERY dry. I've had dry before but not a snapping back on pork. I've seen it on brisket but not on pork. Weird! That's the bad news, the good news is, I'm 97% sure I know how to fix it.

So, this wknd I'll do another test!! We're having a team meeting and some comp style pulled pork. This is a delicious hobby!

:clap2:

I did a test on a new pork recipe this past wknd. It bombed. The best part about our hobby is that we can eat our mistakes, and they're still better than most store-bought BBQ!

One of my earliest memories from this site was a tagline from a guy named Troutman: "The worst BBQ I can make will be the best you've ever tasted". And that is so true.

So, this wknd I'll do another test!! We're having a team meeting and some comp style pulled pork. This is a delicious hobby!

Well put.... Let us know how the next attempt turns out...

My advise to any newbie reading this is to experiment experiment experiment. Take notes. Make a BBQ log or journal. Note times, temps, formulas, sweet to hot ratios, wood used, water pan, no water pan... It will pay off. And, you wont be wasting any money on meat. We can eat our mistakes!!

The A-B test I did was for comp practice. The pulled pork I was shooting for snapped back from being pulled back to sliced status and it was VERY dry. I've had dry before but not a snapping back on pork. I've seen it on brisket but not on pork. Weird! That's the bad news, the good news is, I'm 97% sure I know how to fix it.

I've managed a few that weren't edible... But, for the most part, you're
really right.

So, what happened, or didn't happen?

Too true. I tried 3-2-1 for ribs after Christmas and while I was not satisfied with the results, no one who had the ribs complained.

I log (blog technically) all of my smokes and include recipes, weather conditions, time/temperature profiles and notes on results. I also make a note of what I would do differently so I don't forget the next time. (Not that forgetting stuff is ever a problem. At least I don't recall it being a problem. :rolleyes: )

I've managed a few that weren't edible... But, for the most part, you're
really right.

So, what happened, or didn't happen?

I can't go into details because I was using a technique from a BBQ class. Long story short, it came out dry compared to what I'm used to. All of my taste testers agreed. So, this Saturday I'm going to use the exact same flavor profile but incorporate my moisture-retaining technique which is to wrap tightly in foil for the resting period. I'm still trying to decide if I should smear the bark with Parkay for the wrap like I usually do. I don't that will harm the flavor profile so I think I will.

Ether way, I'm sure it will be delicious :clap2:

Great point Mark - I keep saying I am going to start a journal and I never have. That always comes back to bite me when I really liked the outcome of something - cause I can't remember anything any more... As I was cooking a brisket the other day Big Al and I were talking about layering different rubs - and couldn't remember what I had done.

Write it down!!!!

Great point Mark - I keep saying I am going to start a journal and I never have. That always comes back to bite me when I really liked the outcome of something - cause I can't remember anything any more... As I was cooking a brisket the other day Big Al and I were talking about layering different rubs - and couldn't remember what I had done.

Write it down!!!!

We've got an engineer on our team now and he is prompting us to document everything. Every small detail. This has really stepped up our game.

Concerning layering, this is one thing I learned from a major team last year: Layers of flavor... Layers of Flavor!!!

Let one rub sweat in, then sprinkle on another. Light coats. From the injection, to the rub, to the spritz, to the wrap - layers of flavor!! :wink:

This is a delicious hobby!

:thumb:

I haven't been happy with my pork for a long time but it has still always been good. Can't wait to hear how it goes this weekend!

Back