VA BBQ Used to be Sold in Texas and other States Because of Demand

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
There was a time in this country that when someone thought of BBQ they thought of Virginia.

Here is an ad from a place in El Paso, TX that leveraged that image and used to sell "Old Virginia BBQ." The El Paso Herald, July 18, 1914. At the turn of the 20th century, Texas was just beginning their BBQ tradition. VA BBQ had already been legend in our country for about 300 years.

Virginia BBQ cooks, stop hanging your heads! VA has a rich BBQ tradition. I will do my part to bring it to light. Here is only a glimpse of what I have dug up in my labor of love.

picture.php

Love it! I am a native Virginian (Richmond) who loves living in Texas. However, I will always love my Virginia BBQ. I have convinced numerous Texans to eat their pulled pork sandwich the proper way. With coleslaw on it!

Love it! I am a native Virginian (Richmond) who loves living in Texas. However, I will always love my Virginia BBQ. I have convinced numerous Texans to eat their pulled pork sandwich the proper way. With coleslaw on it!

Nice! I taught that to a Texan about 2 weeks ago.They loved it.

WOW! The old Herald Post. That newpaper doesn't exist anymore. That address pulls up in Fabens, TX which is in our outskirts. Now I see it's chile con carne. The Mexican version of Texas Chili. That is too cool. Have you come up with any other info on the name, E. Scott?

Last edited:
WOW! The old Herald Post. That newpaper doesn't exist anymore. That address pulls up in Fabens, TX which is in our outskirts. Now I see it's chile con carne. The Mexican version of Texas Chili. That is too cool. Have you come up with any other info on the name, E. Scott?

I haven't followed up on it. I did followup on a place in Richmond, VA that sold BBQ back in 1885 and found a "Visitor's Guide to Richmond, VA" from around 1885 which was like a time machine. The street names have changed so much and the old visitor guide had a map in it so I was able to figure out the modern names for the streets.

I haven't found anything like that for El Paso.

But it was El Paso..... :rolleyes:

He he! Yeah, but it's still Texas BBQ. I have more great info on El Paso BBQ but it will have to wait for another time to be revealed.

The "market" style of TX BBQ was created at around the turn of the 20th century and was influenced by the same cultures as VA BBQ. In fact, I grew up on "Spotswood Furnace Road" which was a road that led to an iron furnace run by German and Eastern European settlers here in VA just like what you find in Central Texas. About 10 miles west of me is "Germanna" which was a settlement of German immigrants that worked in the iron ore mines.

Central Texas BBQ and Old VA BBQ share a lot of the same roots. The difference is the African American, Native American, English, and West Indies influence that was brought to bear on VA BBQ. But, those other influences were mostly seasoning and not cooking technique.

Genealogical and Historical Notes on Culpeper County, Virginia. I grew up in Spotsylvania County, VA.

picture.php

Very nice... have visited the '64 Spotsylvania battlefield... very nice. Jackson died near there in the summer of '63, if I remember correctly.

Very nice... have visited the '64 Spotsylvania battlefield... very nice. Jackson died near there in the summer of '63, if I remember correctly.

Yep!

As weird as it may sound, Stonewall Jackson's arm is buried about 2 miles from my house. He was shot in the arm by "friendly" fire at the battle of Chancellorsville. They amputated his arm and rushed him behind the lines to recuperate. About a week later, he died of pneumonia a few miles south of me at Guinea Station which was a train station supply line away from the fighting for Lee's Army at the time. If you ever get a chance to visit Guinea Station near Thornburg, VA and hear the lecture, it's well worth the visit.

Last edited:
I love these stories.Then came the men with the pigs,(Spaniards)and with them came the slaves from the Caribbean and Africa.Then,and ONLY then,came BBQ,barbacoa...slow roasted ,succulent,tender manna on Earth.Later there was Texas.I think Kansas was was being thought about then too.:thumb:Well,when it hit Memphis,it was DONE!!! :wink: :laugh:

I love these stories about Virginia, I live about 40 miles south of Roanoke up in the mountains.

Back