Spatchcock turkey holding time?

pc132

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First off, this site has given me a ton of info for my new smoking hobby...I love it!

So, I'm going to smoke the turkey for Thanksgiving. I'm thinking of spatchcocking it but was curious how long you can hold it for (like in a beer cooler or something). Since the spatcocked turkey is more open, does heat escape faster making it less conducive to being held? (Does that make sense??)

Thanks!

No cooler on bird . How long are you looking for? I've tented for 30 min while we were eating the other one and it was still hot

I brine, smoke, rest, then slice the tukey. After that it goes into a crock pot to keep warm for the trip to my aunt's house for dinner. Not ideal, but I've had good luck with it and the turkey still meets rave reviews. It definitely beats an overcooked oven turkey any day.

I try as much as I can to cook the turkey and only hold it for about an hour to rest and then slice ASAP. Not saying you can't, but the skin gets real rubbery and I don't think it holds as long as well as other roasts.

I also like to spatchcock my turkeys for turkey day. I usually just make sure they are done in advance, let sit for a bit tented and then slice and put in a roaster pan later to warm back up. Still always way better than any oven dried out bird.

Thanks for the info guys. Seems like you can only hold for a little bit. So if I do end up spatchcocking, I"ll have to work the timing out so that we are ready to eat shortly after the bird is done.

Back