Dragon Toes

JerBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey Brethren, Last night I saw a great looking item on "Heat Seekers" on Food network. In case you've never seen it, it's the show where two buddies try to out-do each other eating the hottest of the hot they can find. Anyways, they were in Santa Fe, NM and experienced "Dragon Toes" at one restaurant they visited. They consisted of Habanero peppers (cored out), stuffed with a scallop, wrapped with bacon, skewered to hold together and were put in a 450 oven for about 15 minutes. When the bacon is done, they are ready. Looked delicious, but as a recovering chili-head I was thinking I would try these with a Jalepeno instead of the H word. Last time I tangled with a real live Habanero it gave me a bloody nose. Long story, a little gun shy now. Anyways, I've read about (and made) lots of ABT's with varying ingredients thanks to inspiration gained here. Has anyone done something similar to these little napalm lollipops?? If so, does roasting the Habs mellow out the heat like seems to happen when I use Japs? Obviously coring them out removes lots of the heat in the form of seeds and membranes, but still...they looked pretty frickin' hot when the guys were eating them. Also wondering what the texture of the scallop is like since they were using the doneness of the bacon as the end point. I suppose I could do a recipe search on here, but I thought I'd throw it out there and stir up some discussion. I'm thinking maybe a little maple syrup glaze at the very end might be a nice touch as well.... Any thoughts?

Soaking jalapeños in sprite overnight after you've cored them out will help reduce the heat. Not sure if that also works with habaneros too. Just rinse the peppers after soaking them with water.

That sounds like a good waste of a scallop in my opinion. Habaneros are too hot to me so I doubt I'd be able to eat them after cooking in a cores out habanero. Even in a jalapeño I woul make sure to at least season the scallop with a little garlic salt and pepper as the jalapeño and bacon will only give you so much flavor.

That's just my two cents.

Good luck though and let us know how it turns out if you make them.

Great idea on the Sprite soak, I'll try that. And the wife made the same observation about wasting good scallops. Hmmmmm, maybe I'll try on a very small scale first.

I find that once you core them and remove the seeds and 'ribs' there is no heat whatsoever. That being said, I love spicy food so I might be numb to something that mild.

I watched that show also and those did look really good, but I agree that Hab had to make that thing just blazing

I've done abt's stuffed with shrimp, you really couldn't taste the shrimp with all of the other flavors.

Great idea on the Sprite soak, I'll try that. And the wife made the same observation about wasting good scallops. Hmmmmm, maybe I'll try on a very small scale first.

Another idea similar to sprite... capsaicin is soluble in oil, so you might try soaking it with some olive oil and then rinsing it out good, maybe rinsing it with sprite.

It's also highly soluble in alcohol, but a rinse with good whiskey just seems like a waste of good whiskey :becky:

Just an idea.

Oh, and finally, it's also very soluble in fats, so some whole milk or cream will rinse the capsaicin away pretty quick.

I am wondering how much the bacon and pepper would shield the scallop from being overdone. Higher heat for less time? Something like broiling might get the bacon done faster before the scallop got overcooked?

But then too maybe they were too busy *enjoying* the heat from the hab to notice how far along the scallop was cooked.

Another idea similar to sprite... capsaicin is soluble in oil, so you might try soaking it with some olive oil and then rinsing it out good, maybe rinsing it with sprite.

It's also highly soluble in alcohol, but a rinse with good whiskey just seems like a waste of good whiskey :becky:

Just an idea.

Oh, and finally, it's also very soluble in fats, so some whole milk or cream will rinse the capsaicin away pretty quick.

What about soaking them in whiskey and then...drinking that whiskey?

Habanero Whiskey! I might just have to try that! :clap2:

I like to put a sliced Scotch Bonnet pepper in a glass of Anejo Tequila. The pepper's oil heats the tequila up nicely. I then finish it off by eating the pepper.

picture.php

I'll have to remember this for when my son gets home from A-stan. He's always complaining that food advertised as "hot, hot, hot", or "5-alarm", doesn't taste hot to him at all. I'm thinking this recipe ought to fix his little red wagon. :nod::thumb:

Personally, I'd like my scallops cooked a little longer, especially since they're inside the pepper and wrapped with bacon.
I don't know about the habaneros, but for jalapenos, if you clean out all of the seeds and ribs, stuff them and cook them for about an hour at 350, most all the heat is gone. If you want a bit more heat, cook them for 45 minutes, and more heat, for about 30 minutes. If you're still wanting to bring the heat, leave a few seeds in there.

Actually the Dragon Toes were from a place called "Six Feet Under" here in Atlanta. Santa Fe was the second show.
I've never tried them before, but I told the wifey that we are heading there soon!

Dang! I was off by about 1300 miles or so and a whole different episode. Stupid NyQuil had me dozing off and all messed up.

Back