What Happens if you cook a Chucky like a Tri-Tip that's been Cooked like a Brisket?

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I ran across a ~4 pound chucky this morning at the market. It was marked down to $2.15/pound. I couldn't pass it up. I wondered how it would be if I cooked it like a tri-tip that has been cooked like a brisket. :wink: Here are the results.

I rubbed it with some Smokin' Guns Hot, granulated garlic, black pepper, and some herbs & spices. I fired up the keg to 325F with some white oak for smoke. I added some beef broth and red wine to the pan too.

picture.php

Here it is after about 1.5 hours into the cook. I let it cook for 2 hours and then wrapped it in foil and I let it cook about another 2 hours until it probed tender. Then, out of the keg for a 1 hour rest.

picture.php

Here it is ready for slicing.

picture.php

I sliced it against the grain. Look at how tender and juicy it is. Oh, yeah!

picture.php

A close up shot.

picture.php

And, here it is after a little bit of chopping. We had tender, juicy BBQ beef sammies to start off the New England/Denver game. Everyone ate with gusto.

picture.php

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Argh :mad: I just picked up a chuckie today to cook for this. Oh well, it will still be good.

Your chuckie cooked like a tri-tip cooked like a brisket looks great. :hungry:

How did you slice it across the grain? That had to be a pain.

Argh :mad: I just picked up a chuckie today to cook for this. Oh well, it will still be good.

Your chuckie cooked like a tri-tip cooked like a brisket looks great. :hungry:

How did you slice it across the grain? That had to be a pain.

It isn't too bad. The chucky has some natural separations between the muscles. I just separate it at those points, scrape off the membranes and excess fat, flip the piece on its "side" and start slicing.

Oh MY! (George Takei, 2009)

That is a nice looking chuckie and some good eats right there Bo.

It isn't too bad. The chucky has some natural separations between the muscles. I just separate it at those points, scrape off the membranes and excess fat, flip the piece on its "side" and start slicing.

Yeah, that is kinda what I figured you would have to do. Extra credit for that :thumb:

Love that! :clap2:

That second to last shot - that ain't nuthin but The Truth right there. :hungry:

Wow that looks great. How does it compare to brisket? Is it a pretty similar taste?

That looks damn good!:hungry:

Did you know that you can also cook a Chucky like a Brisket that is cooked like a Tri-Tip? There's a thread here about that.

Wow that looks great. How does it compare to brisket? Is it a pretty similar taste?

Personally, I think chucky has a much richer beef flavor than brisket. I think it tastes better than brisket unless you can go to Franklin Barbecue in Austin, TX and get some brisket cooked by Aaron Franklin himself, then you might think brisket gives chucky a run for its money.

That looks damn good!:hungry:

Did you know that you can also cook a Chucky like a Brisket that is cooked like a Tri-Tip? There's a thread here about that.

I'm gonna have to give that a try! :thumb:

YOWZA!

That looks good, fashizzle Boshizzle!!!:thumb:

I've yet to smoke a chucky. Gotta do that soon.

Back