Dr Pepper Ham - Whiskey Style

My wife bought a big 19.5 pound ham for me to smoke for Easter. Of all the things I have smoked over the years, I have never smoked a ham. Luckily I know where to find out how, The Brethren did not let me down. I read several posts about what to inject with, what to glaze, how much smoke, how long, ect. Let me digress, my wife called me last Wednesday and asked if I wanted her to order a "Dr Pepper Ham" from the butcher for Easter. She said she had tasted a sample and it was very good. Baahhhh! I ain't paying 50.00 for a ham that someone else smoked. NO WAY! So she bought a ham and I agreed to make it a Dr Pepper ham. There are a couple recipes on the net about Dr Pepper ham glaze so I atleast had a starting point. After reading the instructions for Dr. Chicken's Double smoked ham I was ready to start concocting. Here is what I came up with:

Injector Recipe
1 cup of Aunt Jamima Butter flavor syrup
1 cup Dr. Pepper
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Glaze Recipe
1 cup of Dr. Pepper
1.5 cups of light brown sugar
1/2 cup Orange Juice
1/2 cup Bourbon
1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
6-8 whole cloves
2-3 stick of cinnamon
Bring to a boil and simmer till thickened to a syrupy consistency.

Here it is at 130 degrees.
006.jpg

Wow, that looks so darned good!

Kinda off topic but has anyone done something similar with a spiral ham? Does it dry out too much?

OK, at the risk of being banished from the BBQ Brethren, I will admit that I tried this recipe on a spiral cut ham, in the oven. GASP! It was ok. The injected flavor was there, but of course it was missing the smoke and that is what really makes it good. The problem with a spiral cut is that it's already fully cooked, so you can't smoke it for 7-8 hours without ruining it. You can get some smoke flavor, if you smoke it, just don't cook it too long.

The "ready to cook" whole ham is the best bet. The sweet smoky melting fat is so freakin' tasty!

To the top for Christmas! I have made this ham 4 more times and I am happy with the recipe. I am making one tonight for the office Christmas party tomorrow.

To update on the last cook:

23 pound whole ham on an electric smoker @ 225 degrees took 7 hours to hit 140 degrees internal. I used a remote thermometer and didn't open the door until it was at 140 internal. The two previous hams were around 20 pounds and took 7 1/2 and 8 hours respectively. They included much more door opening cause relatives were around and wanted to "see it". I have taken to glazing after I take them off, before and after resting. This keeps from making such a mess in the smoker and I can't tell any difference.

That looks great. I have never tried smoking a ham. After seeing that it is going on my list. Might have to try it for Christmas this year.

As I have spent my nite reading about your ham I have no overnite to do my hams for tomorrow nite but you can bet your bottom dollar I'm usin this recipt! :thumb:

daggone that ham looks tasty! Thanks for the bump whiskey :)

OK, at the risk of being banished from the BBQ Brethren, I will admit that I tried this recipe on a spiral cut ham, in the oven. GASP! It was ok. The injected flavor was there, but of course it was missing the smoke and that is what really makes it good. The problem with a spiral cut is that it's already fully cooked, so you can't smoke it for 7-8 hours without ruining it. You can get some smoke flavor, if you smoke it, just don't cook it too long.

The "ready to cook" whole ham is the best bet. The sweet smoky melting fat is so freakin' tasty!

Yeah, I was given a spiral ham and instead of the ol oven method I'm going to attempt to smoke it. God, hopefully this thing doesn't dry out.

brickie

Yeah, I was given a spiral ham and instead of the ol oven method I'm going to attempt to smoke it. God, hopefully this thing doesn't dry out.

brickie

It will lose some moisture, but if you truss it up tightly and place it on your grate with the spiral cuts horizontal to help hold in the juices I think you should be OK...The tricky part is getting it to sit that way:doh:. I have had to trim the butt end to get a "flat spot", and that wastes a sliver.FWIW

That is perfect for my wife and I. She loves Dr. Pepper....I love Bourbon and we both love ham!!!! Woooo Hoooo....can't wait to try this one. Thank u sir:thumb:

The Mrs. is doubtful cuz she likes the way I've been doing them. But all three hams get this treatment this Christmas. I went to the store and picked up the ingredients that we didn't have already. :)

I really want to try this one for Christmas. A little concerned about how sweet it turns out with the injection though? I usually dont inject and just glaze with brown sugar and butter. Can any of you with experience chime in? I know the answers may be subjective, but I guess I am just looking for a general consensus.

Sorry if I missed this but I was wondering how far in advance you are injecting? The ham looks awesome.

My wife bought a big 19.5 pound ham for me to smoke for Easter. Of all the things I have smoked over the years, I have never smoked a ham. Luckily I know where to find out how, The Brethren did not let me down. I read several posts about what to inject with, what to glaze, how much smoke, how long, ect. Let me digress, my wife called me last Wednesday and asked if I wanted her to order a "Dr Pepper Ham" from the butcher for Easter. She said she had tasted a sample and it was very good. Baahhhh! I ain't paying 50.00 for a ham that someone else smoked. NO WAY! So she bought a ham and I agreed to make it a Dr Pepper ham. There are a couple recipes on the net about Dr Pepper ham glaze so I atleast had a starting point. After reading the instructions for Dr. Chicken's Double smoked ham I was ready to start concocting. Here is what I came up with:

Injector Recipe
1 cup of Aunt Jamima Butter flavor syrup
1 cup Dr. Pepper
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Glaze Recipe
1 cup of Dr. Pepper
1.5 cups of light brown sugar
1/2 cup Orange Juice
1/2 cup Bourbon
1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
6-8 whole cloves
2-3 stick of cinnamon
Bring to a boil and simmer till thickened to a syrupy consistency.

Here it is at 130 degrees.
006.jpg
I've been back to this thread at least four times just to look at this ham. Wow!

I really want to try this one for Christmas. A little concerned about how sweet it turns out with the injection though? I usually dont inject and just glaze with brown sugar and butter. Can any of you with experience chime in? I know the answers may be subjective, but I guess I am just looking for a general consensus.

I usually inject with a mixture of pineapple juice, maraschino cherry juice, ground ginger and brown sugar. The hams turn out really good and are not too sweet for any that have tasted them. This Whiskey recipe should be great.

bluenote07:
I inject the night before and rest in the fridge until an hour or so before putting them on the smoker.

I used this for Christmas dinner and it worked out very well, thank you for the recipe.
The leftover Jim Beam and Dr. Pepper made a great drink to pass the time while it cooked :)

Bump a old thread, everyone loves this ham every time we make it. Did two spiral half hams yesterday and a spatchcocked turkey for about 40 people, they loved all of it.

This was about the fifth time we have did the hams this way.

Back