• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Brisky (Saturday) Questions

jawpaul

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well brethren, first off thanks for all the help so far throughout my BBQ infancy. I've done some stupid stuff but I've learned from it and made some good tasting Que.

My local Sam's Club got in some CAB Choice packer briskets (they normally only have trimmed flats). So I picked up the best one they had out, which was a big boy; about 15 and a half pounds worth. I've read through several of the brisket tutorials including BigaByte's excellent one. And I have a few questions.

Just a dry rub on a brisket, or a mustard slather and rub? (I normally do a slather and rub on butts).

How far ahead of time should I rub down the brisket? Night before?

I'm not planing on foiling the brisket (I like a good bark) but I have seen some people pan the brisket after a while. Advantages/disadvantages?

When making burnt ends do you need to rest the brisket any before separating the flat and point?

I'm planning on smoking some butts at the same time. Should I do brisket on the top racks or the butts on the top rack of the WSM.

Plan:
Rub with some of IndianaGriller's competition brisket rub I got in Trade Round # 31. Smoke with a mixture of hickory and cherry wood chunks added.

Thursday: Night - Rub Brisket. Have a drink.

Friday: 7pm - Get home from work and fire up the WSM. Bring temp up to 225. Have a drink.
Friday: 8pm - Throw on the Brisket and Butts. Run WSM @ 225. Have a drink.
Saturday: 12am - Ramp WSM up to about 250-275 degrees. Have another drink.

Saturday: ???? Remove brisket. Remove point, cube, and use for burnt ends. Wrap and hold flat in cooler.

2 hours later: Sauce burnt ends.
1 hour later: Remove burnt ends, serve and enjoy it all.

Any idea about how long it's gonna take to cook this big brisky about at 250? I'm aiming for a late lunch/early dinner time frame. When I pull the brisket off and start on the burnt ends I'm gonna call the in-laws and tell them to start prepping the sides.

Thanks Brethren, I'd be lost without yall

Well brethren, first off thanks for all the help so far throughout my BBQ infancy. I've done some stupid stuff but I've learned from it and made some good tasting Que.

My local Sam's Club got in some CAB Choice packer briskets (they normally only have trimmed flats). So I picked up the best one they had out, which was a big boy; about 15 and a half pounds worth. I've read through several of the brisket tutorials including BigaByte's excellent one. And I have a few questions.

Just a dry rub on a brisket, or a mustard slather and rub? (I normally do a slather and rub on butts). Just a rub. Let it set up, then hit it again. But you could do mustard too. Nothing wrong with that. I just use a light coat of oil.

How far ahead of time should I rub down the brisket? Night before?
Up to you. Most times I apply right before tossing it on. I have done it the other way as well. Keep in mind a salt heavy rub will draw out moisture overnight.

I'm not planing on foiling the brisket (I like a good bark) but I have seen some people pan the brisket after a while. Advantages/disadvantages?
I'm from Texas therefore it's required that I use the crutch! LOL. Lately, I have let them go with out foil and then toss em in a pan and cover the pan with foil for the cool down only. The key is to pull it when it's done. Like Butta!!!

When making burnt ends do you need to rest the brisket any before separating the flat and point?
I don't. If the flat is done, then I just separate em and cube the point.

I'm planning on smoking some butts at the same time. Should I do brisket on the top racks or the butts on the top rack of the WSM.
Brisket on bottom. It will probably go longer than the butts and butt juice makes for nice drippings on a brisket.

Plan:
Rub with some of IndianaGriller's competition brisket rub I got in Trade Round # 31. Smoke with a mixture of hickory and cherry wood chunks added.

Thursday: Night - Rub Brisket. Have a drink. Drink a Must!

Friday: 7pm - Get home from work and fire up the WSM. Bring temp up to 225. Have a drink. Drink a Must!
Friday: 8pm - Throw on the Brisket and Butts. Run WSM @ 225. Have a drink. Drink a Must!
Saturday: 12am - Ramp WSM up to about 250-275 degrees. Have another drink. Drink a Must! Just me, but I'd go with at least 250 or higher throughout. Even more like 275. Cuts down on total time.

Saturday: ???? Remove brisket. Remove point, cube, and use for burnt ends. Wrap and hold flat in cooler.

2 hours later: Sauce burnt ends.
1 hour later: Remove burnt ends, serve and enjoy it all.

Any idea about how long it's gonna take to cook this big brisky about at 250? I'm aiming for a late lunch/early dinner time frame. When I pull the brisket off and start on the burnt ends I'm gonna call the in-laws and tell them to start prepping the sides.
That's why it's best to go with a higher temp. It will get done faster and then you can hold it in a cooler. A 15lb'er can easily go 15 hours or more. Remember, it's done when IT"S done. Pulling them at a temp of roughly 190 internal is what I go with. They will rise a bit during the rest and most times hit the mark once they begin their decent.

Oh yeah, have another drink at this point. I would.:thumb: Just my .02.

Thanks Brethren, I'd be lost without yall

I'm sure you'll get more options.

Bob

Nothing wrong with hot and fast, that's how I do most of my smoking. The only tip I may be able to offer, is I start out at a lower temp, between 225-250 for first 2 hours, then open up the intake, kick the side of the smoker to dislodge the built up ashes, and she comes up to 300 pretty quick. Continue till done.

Cooking times are much shorter with a similar outcome.

Thanks for all the info y'all. I had to work late last night and didn't home till after 2am and didn't get to rub it down.

I'll see about getting a drink on Saturday too, I can't believe I forgot that. :doh:

Will update tonight after I get the meat on.

Well got the brisky lightly trimmed, rubbed, and smoking now.

Threw on two 7.5lb butts too.

Rubbed the brisket with comp brisket rub I got in the trade.

Mustard Rubbed one butt with the Sweet Heat rub I got also. Mustard Rubbed the second with my #1 rub.

Smoking on hickory and cherry chunks.

I have the WSM sitting at 220 right now. Around midnight I'll crank it up. Both meats went on around 8pm ish. I reckon get up around 4-6am to check the fire/ stir the coals/ reload the chardcoal.

Good news is that one of the butts is headed to the hospital tommorow. My Cousin just became a dad, and I am going to take them all a big fixing of BBQ over.:grin:

IndianaGriller if you read this, your rubs look, smell, and taste awesome. I look forward to getting to the finish product.

The temp dropped today and the wind has been blowing bad the last couple of days so after I loaded the meat I grabbed the worm-drive skil saw and made up a quick wind break from an old door and some 2x4s. Its redneck but it acts like it is helping.

Pron to follow

Sounds like you're off to a good start! Looking forward to the pron.

Well its done and done. Not bad for a first time, overcooked slightly I reckon. The point was juicy but almost falling apart, but the flat was slightly dry. First time not bad. I'll blame it on thermometer issues ;)

The pulled pork was great too. The WSM is a champ and a piece of cake to run.

The highlight of my day was this though.
IwfcT.jpg

The new proud papa with his son! I sent them a whole butt, 16 buns, chips, and sauce. The proud papa ate three whole sandwiches for supper. They said it was the best they had ever had.

Brisket:
zv7NS.jpg

Sliced Flat: A lil dry
sWUua.jpg

Cubed, rubbed, and resmoked point:
byNBM.jpg

Some sauce:
Xus5z.jpg

A lil bit of pulled pork:
gsr6R.jpg

It'll be a while till I do another brisket. I'm more of a pulled pork guy myself. It was good and everybody enjoyed it.

Thanks for the help guys!

Looks like it went pretty well! Nice of you to deliver the pulled pork to your cousin. :thumb: I'm sure he really appreciated it. One can only eat so much hospital food.

Congrats - looks great! Good grub put to good use - love it!:clap2:

Back