Starting a Sauce Company

Porky Joes

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips for starting my own company. Eventually I would like to branch out from sauces and do rubs or more. I am thinking the best was is to find a co-packer. Does anyone have any advice for start up costs, business plans, copyright, legal fees, and more.

Thanks

Step #1 - Mail out free samples to any Brethren members requesting one to get feedback on how your sauce tastes :-D

I agree with the above. PM me if you want to discuss marketing - I've launched numerous consumer products and might be able to help.

I don't remember which BBQ show I was watching on tv but they showed production of BBQ sauce. They showed a facility that would take a persons recipe and increase it to make a larger batch and bottle it for the customer. This was so the customer did not have to make a bunch of little batches or else invest in the equipment needed to make a larger batch. Don't know if that helps you at all

I would say the first thing to do is research your market. Find out how much it is and who the players are.

Then figure out how much of that market you can realistically obtain. Make a biz plan and get help with financial projections.

Find a way to compete in a saturated, price sensitive market. (there is always a way)

Give you product or at least your advertising an edge. "Organic" micro batch BBQ sauce. As for advertising, one word...Boobs.

Have you figured out what equipment and stuff you will need? Im curious.

My advice would be, if your product is ever included in a meaningless online poll.....don't try to buy votes :becky:

Seriously though, good luck in your endeavor.

I have been recommended the same co-packer by a few different people. I also have been trying to work on my business plan but with my children it has been going very slow. Does anyone know of websites, that would provide demographics? One thing I would like to do is start small at flea markets.

Back