First Brisket on the WSM

sportsnut

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Loaded the WSM up with 20lbs of Kingsford Comp. and 5 nice chunks of Apple wood. Injected the 15lb packer with a combo of apple juice and worcestershire.
Used a combo of James Gang dry rubs and let sit in fridge for 4hrs. Pulled it from the fridge at midnight last night and started the smoke at 2:30am. It's now 12:30pm and she is at a study 225* inside the WSM and 171* inside the Brisket.

What temp do you guys think I should pull it off the WSM and put it in the cooler?

PA240002.jpg

10 hrs in
PA250004.jpg

PA250005.jpg

PA250007.jpg

PA250008.jpg

Cook it until its done of course! Temp is not always what makes this done from what I'm learning its more the feel. I have tried the temp game and its not working for me. Are you finishing this unfoiled or with foil?

Sports, start checking at about 185 and go from there by feel. Little to no resistance when probed. You may have to go as high at 210 before it's really done. Just use the temp as a guide. They all cook a little different. Good luck bro!

Thanks guy, it's at 181* right now.
When probed should it feel about the same as when I do a pork butt for pulled pork ?

I usually pull mine around 185. The relative doneness, I think, has to do with how slowly you get it from the first temp peak (around 165 or so) back to your finishing temp. This is where a fire at 225 or one at 250 or 275 makes a HUGE difference.

When you pull it off the WSM, foil, and add to the cooler it's going to rise in temp ~20 degrees, and then sit there for hours. So there will be plenty more cooking going on until you unfoil and put on the cutting board.

Just let the smoker work it's magic :)

I know you have the probe but are you pulling the lid off very frequently?

Be wary of the thermometer in the lid of the WSM. Mine fluctuated quite a bit and I finally removed it and in the hole where the thermomter was, I inserted a new thermometer that bolted against the lid. I'm much happier with my temp readings. YMMV.

Finished !

After 14 and a half hours I pulled the brisket from the smoker. I was very happy with the results. Very juicy and tender except for one small bit right at the end of the flat. Chopped the point up and sauced, seasoned and put back on the smoker for another couple hours. I gotta say the burnt ends were awesome !

Just pulled off the smoker.
PA250001.jpg

Point.
PA250003.jpg

Flat.
PA250002.jpg

Burnt ends.
PA250012.jpg

Plated.
PA250010.jpg

Good lookin' eats right there! I think that there's a briskie in my freezer ...............

OMG that point was huge! Great looking brisket. Good to hear it turned out to your liking. Vince

Life is Good !!!!

Burnt ends, eggs over easy, fried potatoes, toast with homemade strawberry jam and coffee for breakfast this morning.

Back