Wood procurment question?

tmcmaster

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Where is the best place to score quality wood (for us stick burners) in either chunk or log, if a local source is not available?

Thanks!

Two ideas.
1. put a wanted ad in Craigslist
2. make a deal with a local tree trimmer and trade him some Q for wood

I've done both.

Thanks DMDon! What was the result of the craigslist ad? I am a little skeptical/nervous about using the word 'wood' on there... For fear of the pervs...

I just said that I was looking for apple, cherry, hickory wood for burning in my bbq pit. I got a truck load of cherry for $40

Another thought: One of my teammates works for a distributor that provides all sorts of BBQ-related products to pool and patio stores nationwide, including bagged smoke wood chunks. Could be worth checking your local yellow pages and making a couple phone calls, especially if you are looking for varieties not easily found locally like peach, sugar maple, etc.

Bagged chunks will be more expensive than finding a local wood man though. Good luck!

We found that doitbest.com seems to have bags of chunks as reasonable as anyone
with no shipping costs as they "deliver" it to a local hardware store in your area...

However, I'd try the craigslist first. Also, having learned the hard way myself, make
certain that your wood identification skills are sharp. If not, you may end up burning
some strange/bizarre wood (with a very skunky flavor) being sold as Hickory or
Pecan...

I tried craig's also without any response but the tree guy's have access to a variety of wood and they really don't care about like we do. They just chip it up. I just approached a real nice tree guy and he's given me more wood than I can burn and he turned out to be a customer in the process

Do you have any saw mills close by lot of time they have slabs for free. Wish you close by I get all the wood I want from a hickory furniture factory, also my BLI logs. I will never by wood. lol

Tim, find out where your buds by their firewood. They'll usually have fruitwoods also. :biggrin:

Another thought: One of my teammates works for a distributor that provides all sorts of BBQ-related products to pool and patio stores nationwide, including bagged smoke wood chunks. Could be worth checking your local yellow pages and making a couple phone calls, especially if you are looking for varieties not easily found locally like peach, sugar maple, etc.

Bagged chunks will be more expensive than finding a local wood man though. Good luck!

Can you reveal the name of the distributer? Lots of pool and pation places here but no good sources for fruit woods since BBQ Galore left the city. I just ordered some from a place in Maine.

I'm certain you have a lumber mill in close proximity. They will gladly get rid of all non furniture grade logs. I can get 800 lbs for around $50 here in Iowa.

If you could find someone that cuts timbers, they would should give you all the trimming you want

I wish i could find a local supply for hard wood but here in South Florida there is nothing..!!

Does anyone here have an opinion on the wood chunks from doitbest.com there 10# bags of cherry and apple are decent in price and I can ship them to a local store I deal with allot for free...

Thanks for any information.

Last edited:
RE: doitbest.com I've been pretty happy with them. The wood is fine, and you
cant beat the no-shipping costs. The delivery was significantly faster than I'd
expected.

I just said that I was looking for apple, cherry, hickory wood for burning in my bbq pit. I got a truck load of cherry for $40

Speaking of that, bring some of the bigger cherry logs down at Christmas so I can get them into the garage and chunk them for next season.

I have used doitbest here in Michigan also and have been very happy with their wood. Delivery to the local store was pretty quick also.

Back