Which turn in to pick??

toys4dlr

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Ok, I am new to the "Putting Green" and I wanted to give it a try. In the past I have use just a little green leaf. Please let me know what you guys think look the best

Standard Green Leaf from a comp last year.

The Putting green Test from tonight

Which looks better??

Thanks

David

Put that chicken from the first box on the putting green in the second and you have a winner!

I personally like the chicken from tonight on tonight's box.

The parsley bed looks good. Now the type A in me says that it could use a little work. On the sides it could be filled in more so there's an even line of parsley along the side of the box. After all we are talking putting green here. Maybe even more parsley all around. You should be able to put your hand on it and press down and just leave a little indentation.

Since putting greens are such a pain in the arse and time consuming, it would make it easier (and level the playing field for those who don't like the greens) to cut 8 1/2 by 8 1/2 inch squares of the green astroturf outdoor carpeting a have KCBS hand out four of them, one for each box, at cook's meeting. Perfect greens (and identical to everyone else's) every time. This was Bubba's idea and I think it's a pretty damned good one. :wink: They just get turned back in after each event, washed, sanitized and ready for the next week. Imagine building your box taking all of five seconds... open box, insert carpet, close box. :-D

Since putting greens are such a pain in the arse and time consuming, it would make it easier (and level the playing field for those who don't like the greens) to cut 8 1/2 by 8 1/2 inch squares of the green astroturf outdoor carpeting a have KCBS hand out four of them, one for each box, at cook's meeting. Perfect greens (and identical to everyone else's) every time. This was Bubba's idea and I think it's a pretty damned good one. :wink: They just get turned back in after each event, washed, sanitized and ready for the next week. Imagine building your box taking all of five seconds... open box, insert carpet, close box. :-D

I have my driving range mat in the back yard, I can just cut the 4 pieces out. It would make it a lot easier.

I am with you all on the chicken in the boxes. The ones from last night were just a test, so I only cooked 6 and did not trim as well as I normally do. The chicken in the first box got us 2nd out of 47 teams last year at rawhide in AZ. It was our second event ever.

Thanks for the help, as I have never used the putting green thing. However, I think it looks better too.

Does it hold up and look as well for all the other turn-in's???

I like the putting green, but i wonder if the parsley is going to stick to the chicken when the judges pick it up.

The judges might get upset if they have to pick parsley off the chicken before they can taste it and therefore affect the appearance score.

It is a good question and I know it has been beat to death on the forum in the past. I did pick up the test box and most of the time the parsley did not stick. I think because most of it is held in place from the cut green leaf under the parsley.

However, my thought is that the appearance score is down prior to the judges picking out the chicken.

This is where the discussion goes south in the past. Myself, as a CBJ Judge, I would pick off any of the garnish that stuck to it. But, I am a simple person (No big words please :-D) and I do not think that the cook would have meant for the garnish to be part of the food. In fact, I think that would not be allow by KCBS rules. However, it has been discuss that some would eat the garnish instead of removing it. Assuming that fact, I am sure the taste score would go down. Hopefully you only have one of those types at your table and that score of 3 for taste gets thrown out. :-D

I guess it is a coin toss and I am going to try the "putting green" for all of the boxes at the next event this weekend. I hope the product is good, that after all is the whole point.

Thanks for the help and I appreciate and welcome any other thought or opinions.

david

Back