Brisket Box

AzQer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a newbe question we are getting ready for our first comp and I was wondering do you trim your brisket before you cook it so it will fit in the box? The reason I'm asking is I seen a team turn in a box were the meat was so big it was almost folded to get in the box. If anyone can show me some pics or give me some input on how to make it look good it will be much appreciated. thanks all

I don't really have shots of the process, but we trim before cooking. As a judge, I've seen people not trim, and they don't generally do well in appearance.

1260271436_b62cc9c1a9.jpg

We always trim the brisket to fit the box. We start by removing the fat wedge that bisects the brisket point so the brisket will lie flat. Then we take a look at the brisket flat and decide where we want to take our slices from. We then trim the brisket so that portion fits in the box. We really don't trim much other fat. We just trim anything that looks like it doesn't belong. We also make a cut at the end of the flat showing which way the grain is moving so we can trim the brisket properly when is has finished cooking. Sometimes the grain is not as apparent after cooking so we do this before the cook. Hope this helps.

We trim ours, I try to trim down before it goes on the smoker and then again we check it over before we place in box. I don't believe that there is too small a detail to adress when it comes to turn in time.

ImportedPhotos00045.jpg

That's a great looking box, Mutha! We trim to fit the box also. AzQer, do a search on turn-in or similar and you'll see more examples of turn in boxes. Remember that you are being judged on the meat, so keep the meat to focus. The boxes that seem to score best make the meat stand out and use the garnish to frame the meat. Mutha's box is a good example of that. You can also use a platform of lettuce under the meat to bring it up in the box so it stands out against the garnish.

Depends also on the sanctioning body of the contest. IBCA you either have to trim before you cook or else fold it into the box the best way you can. No trimming after cooking.

Very nice boxes guys thanks very much and thanks for the info Just what I was wondering.

Back