Westmont N2Que turn in pics

N

n-2-que

Welp before i post all these i would like to give a big hearty Thank You to Kevin aka voodoobbqIL, of Partners in Swine for all your help. this man is what makes the Brethern who they are. i am very glad to meet you and hopefully see you in comp and such once again.

Now again this is our First competition, and our very First attempts at Turn in Boxes. so please crit away we need the bad and good.

Btw we placed 9th chicken and 8th rib, with a overall of 11th place.

Chicken.
755-878-777-788-688-888
westmont52607041.jpg

Ribs:
888-888-876-676-788-788
westmont52607048.jpg

Pork:
877-776-788-688-677-677
westmont52607057.jpg

Brisket:
787-787-664-777-765-765
westmont52607062.jpg

again any crits, we know the biggies. now we see our pictures. but let me tell you this was a great experience, besides raining all day sat, sunday was nice, and now yes we are addicted... like we wasn't before :p. it was great altogether, and can't to compete again. we should have even more pictures up on our website tonight, so keep a eye out.

Bill and Diane,
Pleasure to meet you as well. Thanks for the yummy breakfast on Sunday Morning too. Being next to great folks like you at a contest makes the time pass much better. Although I think you have certainly got your legs under you on the competition end, and that's the last time I give you advice on pork :). See you soon, take care of that beautiful cooker. people like you are what make a competiton great!

I believe you could use a pinch more greenery in all the boxes.
Chicken, rearrange and get em to look more together 7
Ribs, get em next to each other like a solid hunk, nice glaze 7
Pork, looks a little anemic, get some chunks of bark in there 6.5 ish
Brisket, get em spaced the same, uniformity rocks, 7

All thoughts are presentation only. Excellent first go, you should see some of the obvious first timers I see.
Are you planning on being at BBQlossal? I'm judging and thought I saw a bunch of Brethren were going to be there. Party Fri. night??
ModelMaker

welp the BBQlossal we are either gonna just go or judge it not sure on competeing our next we are looking at is waterloo comp in july.

thanks for the comments Modelmaker..
greenery was our fault we underestimated how much greens to bring so we had to go sparingly... one of those learn as you go, next time will be alot better.
chicken i kept moving them around started to take our nice shine off from pieces touching.

ribs was our first attempt so we had no game plan on arrangement. and alot i didnt notice with uneven spacing til i seen the pictures.

Pork did have some bark but somehow got mixed down underneath something else we learned. we will also go more just layed in then patted together.

didnt really notice til pictures on the spacing of the brisket.

i will do alot of looking at turn in boxes for next go around and even some practice runs on actual turn ins.

I'll be judging in Wloo also (home court). Looking forward to meeting up.
ModelMaker
Actually Wloo would be an excellent place to hit. Smokin Clones have owned it last couple of years. There are a lot of churchy groups and locals there mostly to raise monies thru sales.
This is the place that had just 6 bones thrown in a box for ribs and a can of Pork&Beans for side comp. This was just my table. Also brisket sliced with the grain. Good payouts available.
But it's usally hotter than hubs of hell.....

think we are gonna do side dish also for this waterloo comp.

Bill... My scores would be along the same lines as ModelMakers. The food looks good in general but the garnish needs some work. Try to make a frame around the meat that is even all the way around. You can even build a platform for the meat in the middle of the box to make it stand out.

Just a couple of things on the meat...

Chicken - there is some skin pull-back on a couple of the thighs. Try pinning the skin back with toothpicks to hold it in place.

Ribs - Try to get the ribs from the same slab and arrange them in the box so that is obvious. Also, it looks like there may be some brush marks in the glaze (but that may just be the picture, too).

Pork - Same comment about the bark.

Brisket - The slices look great. It looks like there may be a couple of blotches of sauce (fingerprints) on one or two slices, but that may be the picture, too.

Good job!

I would say even everything up a bit. The chicken looks oversauced to me. Ribs look a bit dark. Same comment as others on pork; I also think it looks better if you have more definable pieces (i.e. pulled in a bit bigger pieces, as opposed to completely shredded). Brisket looks splotchy.

One change of heart I had recently was on saucing pork and brisket... Do it. Not a lot, but judges typically like sauce, and they'll never question if sauce is there, but if it's not, they may question that. It also helps it not look dry; from the photo, both pork and brisket could be dry looking.

Just my opinion(s).

welp the BBQlossal we are either gonna just go or judge it not sure on competeing our next we are looking at is waterloo comp in july.

Hey N2Q, how about coming to State Center or Marshalltown.

we thought about marshalltown but not sure if its full yet.. and its about time my son will be visiting.

Back