MOINK Balls on Serious Eats

ColoradoSmoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just ran across this on the serious eats site: Grilling Moink balls

Their Food Lab section has some great info - not really BBQ related but great info. Just figured I would share (not affiliated, etc).

I have to say I did a bunch of MOINKS over the holidays and I wasn't impressed. I used store bought meatballs that were Italian meatballs and I think that was my mistake. I want to try it with some homemade meatballs that I know I like next.

I made these on New Years Eve........made the meatballs from scratch and they turned out great.........

Before:
CC5A93EB-6E8D-4C09-A258-0CB91736E899_1.jpg

After:
FF264B3B-EE16-4303-A8A9-1007C474C5A5.jpg

I have to say I did a bunch of MOINKS over the holidays and I wasn't impressed. I used store bought meatballs that were Italian meatballs and I think that was my mistake. I want to try it with some homemade meatballs that I know I like next.

I totally agree. :thumb:

Yes,I don't care if the "official" way is frozen grocery store premade.Next time homemade balls for me.

I have a meatball recipie I want to try with ground pork and ground beef. Hoping they turn out as great as the ones you guys post on here

Nothing wrong with frozen or homemade but yea not the Italian ones.

look amazing! looks like just meatballs and bacon with some bbq sauce? sorry for the "newbie" questions...also what would be the cook time and temp on these beauties?

look amazing! looks like just meatballs and bacon with some bbq sauce? sorry for the "newbie" questions...also what would be the cook time and temp on these beauties?
Correct, you wrap meatballs with bacon, season and smoke. I do 275 until the bacon is crispy. I dont really worry about the meat ball drying out. Hit it with sauce when they are done.

I have been churning out finger foods recently as a learning exercise, though my family is fast becoming addicted. I may be pressed into service more than originally intended...

I have only used homemade meat balls for the Moinks and was fairly pleased with the results. However, next to ABT's, pig shots (and even more so, Chorizo Shots) the Moinks seemed a little bland. One of my twin daughters suggested stuffing the meatballs with a pungent cheese and/or a jalapeño slice. Anyone gone this way before?

Back