Do you get a smoky flavor with BGE and Kamado's?

Mattlsmith

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey All,

Right now I have a Traeger and like it alright. It is easy to cook with and produces some great Q. BUT no matter what pellets I use I dont get much of a smoky flavor. For example I primarily cook with Oak and I cant taste any oak smoke even after 12+ hours.

So I'm thinking about getting a Kamado Joe or BGE and wondered if in your experience do you get that nice smoky flavor that you get from a stick burner?

Probally in middle between Stick Burner and Pellets. I don't have either but do Smoke in my Weber Kettle and can get a pretty Heavy Smoke Flavor.

So I'm thinking about getting a Kamado Joe or BGE and wondered if in your experience do you get that nice smoky flavor that you get from a stick burner?

Absolutely - I get great smoke flavor and smoke rings from my Kamado! I'll also add that I was skpetical about the reputation that Kamados produced moister meats, but now I'm a convert! SO much so, I sold my Weber Performer and WSM, not that there's anything wrong at all with them, but the Kamado takes things to a whole new level.

Great feedback, thank you so much! Moose how hard is it to maintain low temps? Also which Kamado Joe are you using? Could I get away with the $300 one?

Absolutely - I get great smoke flavor and smoke rings from my Kamado! I'll also add that I was skpetical about the reputation that Kamados produced moister meats, but now I'm a convert! SO much so, I sold my Weber Performer and WSM, not that there's anything wrong at all with them, but the Kamado takes things to a whole new level.
This has exactly been the case for me as well. I was cooking on a Performer 2 years ago, and the first time I cooked on a Kamado, I sold the Performer and got a Kamado Joe Classic. I have since sold that and got the Kamado Joe BigJoe. Kamado's really do give a very moist end product, and yes, you can get a lot of good, clean smoke flavor from a Kamado. Think about it. They are just sipping air, so the smokey environment inside isn't replaced with heavy air like some other pits. As long as the fire is clean, the flavor is fantastic.

An grilling, they are fantastic high heat grills. My KJ is my go to for high heat cooks.

Great feedback, thank you so much! Moose how hard is it to maintain low temps? Also which Kamado Joe are you using? Could I get away with the $300 one?

Kamados maintain temps beautifully, however, you have to be watchful of your vents and close them up as the temp rises, otherwise you'll wind up with a higher temp than you planned for because they are so efficient.

I have a Vision Kamado, and I love it, but Kamado Joe's have a great reputation, just not sure they have a unit at $300, though.

I get plenty of smoke on the Primo XL just from the Royal Oak lump. I pitched in a few apple chips when I smoked a chicken, and it was perfect. Be careful with added wood -- it takes very little.

I got into BBQ this year. I purchased at 22.5 WSM and OTG 22.5. Got looking into kamado's after eating at a friends place. Loved the green egg as it was all that I knew. Then I began reading about KJ and all the positive reading led me to wanting a Big Joe.

Just saving up for it now, sold my WSM but still learning on the OTG while I save up.

I believe that the eggs are the most versatile all in one system out there, low and slow, smoking, grilling, searing, pizza stones etc etc etc.

All I can say is that I have had time to read and learn, and the KJ is the real deal!

I have a $300 Kamodo - an Akorn. I love it and will cook a Spatchcocked Turkey on it for Turkey day. I feel that I got a heck of a bargain - I love my Akorn

The big green egg is exactly as Bosco said. It can do everything. Great smoke as well. When I first got mine I was only using it to smoke but after a few months we started using it for everything & just got rid of our gas grill. Maintains low temps easily. Love it.

I get adequate smoke from my bubba kegs. Put it this way.. nobody will say your food doesn't have any smoke flavor.

Get good smoke flavor from my BGE. Bury wood chunks at all levels of the charcoal so that one or two are always burning.

I started with a weber 57cm OTG before buying a BGE. Transferred because I had troubles maintaining temperatures and running out of fuel (probably not webers fault, I know). The BGE and probably most ceramic cookers make life so much easier! burns very little fuel, great moist and smoky taste and easy temp controls for veeeery long runs. After two years of cooking with the BGE i am still suprised with its performance. Great piece of engineering.

Guess it's all about definition of "enough smoke". I love my BGE and my wife prefers my food to not have a heavy smoke flavor. I mostly use pecan wood and cook hot & fast and foil my briskets & pork butts at around 160 degrees IT and get the results that we both like. My hunting partner mostly uses hickory and cooks low & slow and his wife complains about too much smoke flavor.

Spatchcocked Turkey I cooked/smoked on my red Akorn Kamado had a lovely smokey flavor :eusa_clap

Back