Superior Smokers SS-2 Crash Course

Is Denton anywhere near San Antonio? I'll save you the trouble and pick it up next time I'm out that way.
Only 5 hours away via the hellish I-35, but no need to stop unless you just want to share a toast. :thumb:

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: cpw
Grease your unit inside (i used bacon grease), do a break in burn at 250* for about four hours. Plan on around 1 hour/lb of KBB or K-Comp using a Guru, etc. and I think they'll hold 12-14 lbs of briqs.

I did my break-in burn w/o the Guru hooked up and predictably, it took forever to get to 250*. When it finally did (2 hours +), I went in for dinner; came out an hour later and she was screaming along at 525*!! :shocked: :shocked:

Initially lighting I use a 1/2 chimney of lit briqs. Takes awhile to cool off after you shut it down so alternatively a BIG hot ash can can be used to carefully empty the firebox if you have to.

A full hotel pan will slide right into the opening for the grease drain, just don't wait too long to empty it!

If you don't do anything else, do these: get a controller, spring for a cover, clean it up regularly and you'll be a happy camper! Congrats again!
Thanks! Exactly the info I'm looking for! I'll get a full hotel pan ordered ASAP!

I have a decent sized ash can that I use for Earl.

Just use a disposable foil pan (full size or half size) like you can buy at Sam's. No need to spring for a hotel pan.
Ahhh..perfect. I have a bunch of half pans I sourced from Amazon at $0.50 each. Thanks!

Sounds like you have it figured out, especially the last pointer.
Stuff face, stuff face, stuff face!

Congrats on the new smoker!

You gonna leave this one out in the Rain, Wind and Ice and Sleet and/ Blazing Hot Sun like Earl? I got a Large Covered Back Porch that is enclosed on 3 sides that would be perfect to protect this fine piece of BBQ Machinery.........:mrgreen:

You gonna leave this one out in the Rain, Wind and Ice and Sleet and/ Blazing Hot Sun like Earl? I got a Large Covered Back Porch that is enclosed on 3 sides that would be perfect to protect this fine piece of BBQ Machinery.........:mrgreen:
If I can find a cover for a decent price, I will get one ;)

If it's at your place, how am I gonna teach Tasha to use it while I'm at work?

Rather than using bacon grease to season the unit, buy a couple of cans of Pam and spray all the surfaces; shelves, walls, etc. this is much easier. Don't over do it or you could cause a grease fire.

Rather than using bacon grease to season the unit, buy a couple of cans of Pam and spray all the surfaces; shelves, walls, etc. this is much easier. Don't over do it or you could cause a grease fire.
I used spray Pam with Earl and that is the plan with the new SS-2.

mep - I used PAM the first time I seasoned mine and found I was still getting a little rust build up around the seals and on the inside of the door. Recently re-seasoned with a light coating of bacon grease (plus a little light sanding) and I think it's working better - so far. However, YMMV!

Maybe you could name this smoker "Johnny Smoker"
Johnny F'n Smoker? :becky:

I ain't naming it after no Aggie! :shock:

It this things is as steady and efficient as folks say, I may name it Colt after the most efficient QB in NCAA history ;)

Question for you guys with these smokers (mine is an assassin), how are y'all applying your smoking wood? In the chute, in the ash pan, or ????

Question for you guys with these smokers (mine is an assassin), how are y'all applying your smoking wood? In the chute, in the ash pan, or ????

I put the wood in the ash pan after the fire has stabilized at the right temperature and right before I put the meat in the smoker. You can add wood for extra smoke later on in the cook.

Delivery is gonna be the week after Thanksgiving so there is no problems/delays with the holidays.

I might be doing this that whole week...

tumblr_mp14bzmDAU1s99dcoo1_r1_400.gif

Congrats on winning the SS-2!

I usually use lump in mine (less ash) but have used briqs before and they were fine. I light the lump in the chute using a MAPP torch.

I've added chunks of smoke wood in the chute and in the ash pan before and both locations work. Nowadays I just put them in the ash pan.

Back