Total Disappointment

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Competed yesterday in a sauce competition held by a local winery. The main stipulation was that you had to use at least one of the winery's products in your sauce. I chose their apricot vinegar and their apricot demi sec white wine. I also puree'd some peaches and sautee'd a lot of chopped vidalia onions. This was all added to my regular bbq sauce and it turned out quite delicious. For the two hours in which the public was allowed to sample the sauce so they could vote, I received very positive feedback. Many wanted to buy bottles of my sauce while others commented that if I don't win, something is wrong. Needless to say I was feelilng quite confident when they gathered the contestants to announce the winners. The judging was based on 25% by the public who only got taste the sauce, and 25% ea. from three main judges who got to try the sauce on your ribs. I smoked three racks of baby backs and three racks of St. Louis spares. My wife and friends that were there all said these were the best ribs I ever made. 3rd place and $150 went to three guys from Chicago cooking on a gas grill. 2nd place and $500 went to three local guys cooking on Chargriller and 1st place and KitchenAid stainless steel gasser went to some lady cooking on a gas grill!
The guys who won the $500 took one bite of my ribs and couldn't believe that I didn't win. Oh well, like my MIL always said, "some people have chit for taste and others eat it!"

Sorry to hear that. Wonder what the winners garnished around thier sauce foam containers with.... some of that Franklin lettuce?

Maybe the flavor in your ribs threw them off on the sauce? They were looking for tasteless pork? You never know. It's sounds perty darn good from your discription!

It's chit like that makes me glad I'm not a competitive person.
Probably was fixed too.

Problem I see there is the potential for the judges to have no idea what a frarking rib is supposed to taste like. They want applebee ribs or mcRibs. Lot's of ketchup and sugar. Take heart in the compliments you got and keep going foreward

That sucks, Neil! Sounds like you put a lot of effort into it just to get hosed! I agree with Andy... maybe the ribs were so good, the sauce paled in comparison and they didn't "notice it" like the might have with a lesser rib (one shot to make an impression mod).

I think we all just declared you the winner.......screw the rest of the public.....

Thats why I stick to my favorite competition; the old competition for space around the picnic table. As for the sauce. Sounds fantastic. Gotta be good on pork.

Neil, sounds like ya done good, exceptin the judges. I like queball's theory. Competition for space around the picnic table is the real judge.

That bites, dude. It seems there's no accounting for taste . . . or lack thereof. Sounds like you came up with a nifty new sauce recipe, though, and that's likely to bring you more pleasure down the road than having won the contest.

Back