Just picked up a used Lang, should I reseason it?

K4brannon

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Just Got a New Lang..do I reseason it?

Just picked up a used Lang 48, i was planning on firing it up and doing the steam clean but would you re season it ?

Thanks

Kyle

Just got a couple year old Lang 48 deluxe, was planning on doin the steam clean but do you guys think I should re-season it as well?

Thanks Kyle

I would. It'll give you a chance more or less start from scratch with the cooker, and I don't think that's a bad thing since the cooker is new to you.

Steam clean, perhaps even twice on this, and the reseason. It'll be like new....

Just picked up a used Lang 48, i was planning on firing it up and doing the steam clean but would you re season it ?
Thanks, Kyle

I would. You never know whats been it it and how it was treated.

Clean it, re-season it, and enjoy it...

i would weed burn the inside.. and then reaseason.. AND YES WE LIKE PICS! lol
This..pick up a weed burner from HFreight or somewhere if you don't have one and burn the heck out of it, then re season and Q it up! :becky:

Perhaps high pressure wash(no soap) and have some fatties ready and waiting... fire it up right after washing, and SEASON!

Clean it as best you can and re-season. I got a used 48 too. All sorts of crap on the grates. Oven cleaner, scraping and wire wheel to get them to my specs. Re-seasoned using Flax Seed Oil. On first cook the thing would just not get hot. Vents fully open and with the door cracked, would not get above 275° or so. Somethings wrong here! Looked down the stack, which is a 4" diameter pipe, and there was but a 1" clear hole. The rest was clogged with greasy creosote so the cooker could not breathe! Scraped it all out, over a pound of gook from an 18" pipe, and now it runs like new. Just a heads up for you, the previous owner may not have known how to keep a clean fire in yours like what happened to mine. Have Fun!

Wow...a pound of gunk...

Ok..anyways...Its always a good idea to heat the cooker up to 350+ and steam clean it prior to use...I dont do it everytime since wood is expensive...It will only need re-seasoning if it looks dry and wanting to rust...otherwise after you steam clean it, Wipe it down with a rag...spray it with your favorite spray oil and smoke on...

Added a pic. so would pressure washing it first then steaming it and seasoning be the ticket?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 86
Back